Ex agent won't give back deposit - I'm the landlord

Always_Broke

As the title says I'm an accidental landlord if that's what it's called. I used a letting agent who was basically awful. Always had to chase him for the rent. He blamed the tenants but it was him stalling each month. He had his own company but was taken over by a well known worldwide property company. He told me he no longer worked in property but his name is still on their website as a contact. I contacted this company but they said it is not their responsibility. Tenants are due to move out next month. Any advice on where to go from here?

It would seem to me that the new company is liable IF they took over his company. First step is a paper trail. Ask them by email initially what is the story. Report back what they write exactly and then we can discuss that.

Do not name the companies. How much money is it? If the new company is interested in being your agent they may play ball on the deposit.

What contact have you had with the new company? Did they take over the management of your property? If they did, then that would be strong grounds for their having taken over the previous agent's book of business.

Back