ETF - Where do I start?

krinpit

With my SSIA maturing soon, I'm considering investing in an ETF. Where can I obtain a list of good brokers who will get me started?

If u are talking about an Irish ETF have a look at the Irish Stock Exchange website which operates the ISEQ20ETF. There is a fairly comprehensive brochure available at http://www.ise.ie/index.asp?locID=417&docID=-1 and comprehensive historical data. Charges on this ETF are low by normal standards of ETF. Historical growth has been excellent - in line with ISEQ index of Irish shares. Can be purchased from any broker who sells Irish shares.

I've been in contact with someone in Davy stockbrokers and the whole thing seems very straightforward.

I don't know if there's already a post on this, but by investing in an ETF alone, would I be deemed to be allocating my investments wisely? Specifically the ISEQ ETF.

but by investing in an ETF alone, would I be deemed to be allocating my investments wisely? Specifically the ISEQ ETF.

You might like to consider whether this ETF is correctly diversified - it is heavily weighted in financial institutions and construction and in the Irish economy.

3 companies (AIB, CRH, BOI) make up 50%
5 companies (AIB, CRH, BOI, Anglo, Ryanair) make up 75%

Financial companies make up 50%
Construction associated companies make up 20%

You may already have a large stake in Irish economy if your job depends on it, so it might be wise to consider investing in an ETF investing outside Ireland.

Back