ETF Buy & Hold Strategy for 10k on Degiro - ideas

Tough call on current course of action but S&P is selling for nearly 24 times (23.6) 2019 pre-pandemic earnings & same on estimated forward earnings for 2021............not many periods in history where the 1,3,5 year returns from those types of valuations were particularly outstanding & certainly nowhere near historical average return. YES - interest rates are low and so valuations are elevated BUT what IF interest rates (shock horror) start to rise and low risk assets begin to compete with equites for investment flows.

In a rising interest rate environment the S&P could experience a 'lost decade' from here.

I think BRKB gives you below market P/E - S&P does well so will BRK.........S&P P/E's contract due to rising rates BRK does well as it spread businesses (banks & insurance companies) benefit from rising rates

In a rising interest rate environment the S&P could experience a 'lost decade' from here.
Because it's been the only game in town since the financial crash people have forgotten that the US markets can do worse than the rest of the world, it looks like the us dollar is going to get weaker over the next few years which benefits emerging markets and commodity producing countries. Even the msci world index is heavily weighted to us markets now much more than a decade ago. You nearly need to be looking at etfs now that are underweight the US yet everyone seems to be focusing solely on the S&P 500 obviously only looking at its performance over the last decade

Last edited:
Because it's been the only game in town since the financial crash people have forgotten that the US markets can do worse than the rest of the world, it looks like the us dollar is going to get weaker over the next few years which benefits emerging markets and commodity producing countries. Even the msci world index is heavily weighted to us markets now much more than a decade ago. You nearly need to be looking at etfs now that are underweight the US yet everyone seems to be focusing solely on the S&P 500 obviously only looking at its performance over the last decade
Joe Sod, do you see this issue with BRK also- ie overweight on US?
And any recommendations when it comes to ETFs that are broadly diversified by industry - but less exposed to US?

I realise BRKB looks to be a good s&p etf equivalent for Ireland's painful taxing of etf's, but I wonder when Buffet passes, if it could change track and start paying out dividends? There's nothing to say that it couldn't is there?
Well they did pay one in 1967.
To paraphrase Buffett "I must've been in the jacks when that decision was made". :D

Back