Eternal student- What to do with 20 grand?

bess

I am in my 4th year my studies with 3 more years to do until I'm fully qualified. It's my 4th year renting in Dublin-originally from Galway. My Dad left me and my siblings some money when he passed away a few years ago and my mum invested it in SSIAs for all of us. My mum has no income. The SSIA has just matured and along with my own modest savings i have 22 grand. I will be working on a graduate salary for the coming year (25 grand approx) before I qualify. I would eventually like to see myself living in Galway...to buy a house there. I have no debts. Sound financial advice ideas much appreciated.

In two years max... I wouldn't qualify for any sort of mortgage until i get a training contract..which will happen after 12 or 24 months

Anything other than a cash deposit is too risky if you are considering buying a house in 2 years.

Probably the wsest thing to do would be to spend it on the king of all student house parties and invite eeveryone. money well spent

Probably the wsest thing to do would be to spend it on the king of all student house parties and invite eeveryone. money well spent

lol - I think you should change your User name "Levelhead"

To OP - check the best buys forum for the various savings accounts on offer at the moment - for example see rabobank (5% up to 10k) and nothern rock (4.3%) for current lump sum - then halifax and AIB';s regular saver a/cs for whatever you can or want to squirrell away from the upcoming salary

Paddy

Back