Estates in Swords.

Shakespeare

Swords - Glen Ellan Park

Hi
Very frustrated with the attempts to buy a house, am now considering Swords but don't know it well.(Last time I was in Swords I was mugged but I suppose that can happen anywhere?)
I know an earlier thread did discuss Swords in general and I have read through it but I was wondering if someone could tell me anything about the above estate and where it is in relation to anything in Swords. There was opinion on South v North sides of Swords etc and I'm trying to get a handle on where the above is located facility wise, access to city centre etc.
If anyone has direct experience, I'd be very grateful for your opinion.

Thks
Shakespeare

Re: Swords - Glen Ellan Park

Glen Ellen is now huge, if you are coming from Swords village (say the Fingal coco building) at the end of main street which leads to the Rathbeale road, follow it out past JC's and further up that road there are a set of light, turn right here and follow the road to a roundabout and turn right, on your right is Glenn Ellan.

I find the completely over developed because of Applewood village. Its close to all amenities but there have been some disputes over Jugback lane which residents close to Glenn Ellan want blocked off due to antisocial behavior in recent years.

You are about 5 minutes drive from the village, JC's, Pavillions SC, some good pubs (Lord Mayors, from a few years back). A busy spot though. HTH

Swords is not a bad place - it depends what you're used to and what you're looking for. I know some people who hate it - it all depends on what you're used to. Whats important in a village for you etc.

It's gotten very very busy over the past few years. The Pavilions Shopping center is a great adittion if you like to drop down for a coffee and the new Jackie Skelly gym down in Applewood is also great to have around.
Malahide is nice to visit and only a short distance away.
There are some great pubs (the cock tavern) and there's a lovely french coffee shop in the older mall which might be nice to visit ona recon trip out?

I think though that Glen Ellan is one of these huge new estates that all look the same. Maybe look for an older house in an older neighbourhood?

Some places to check out are Highfield (which can be difficult to into and of due to traffic congestion), Abbeyvale (again its a bit of a sprawl), Knocksedan (sp?, a newly built area).

Hi there,

i am thinking of buying in swords and was wondering is there a shuttle bus to malahide and how long does it take to get there in the morning.

also how long to bus it to town from swords.

Cheers,
Sully.

Re: Swords: Transport to town.

the 230 bus goes from Dublin Airport, past the Pavillions through Malahide and on out the coast rd to Portmarnock, no Sunday service though

How long does it take the 230 to get to the city centre?

The 230 just goes from the Dublin Airport through Swords to Malahide to connect with the train
See [broken link removed] for 230 bus Swords to Malahide 15 to 20 mins
See [broken link removed] for train Malahide to Connolly station (Approx 25 mins) Trains can be packed
Total time approx 45 to 50 mins

Don't know how long buses take to get to City Centre

The 41, 41C and 43 are the main Swords Buses to town.

The 41 starts in Swords Manor and takes about 70 - 80minutes to get to town in the morning - most 41's (but not all) go through the airport, so allow time for this too.

The 41C mainly serves Rivervalley, but recent changes mean the 41C starts in Swords Manor after 9am, through Rivervalley into town. I don't use this, but I imagine this is a very long-winded journey !

The 43 is not very frequent. It travels from Swords main St, Kinsealy, Malahide Rd, town and takes about 45 - 60 minutes in the morning.

I get the 43 from Fairview in the evening (5:55pm) and arrive in Swords at 6:30.

The 41 can take 60 to 90 minutes in the evening as it goes thru' the Port Tunnel works.

There are also some 41X express services from Swords.

Timetables;

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

What is Swords like as a place to live anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

C

Thanks,
C

Re: Swords?

I've lived there for just under five years; nice place all in all. The main street has lots of little shoppee type shops; the Pavilion is great for food, clothes, chemists, etc. Wouldn't be tempted to pub crawl on a weekend night - it can be a bit rough. La Spada in the Plaza s/c is an excellent new restuarant, I can highly recommend it. Trentuno on the main street is OK and there are loads of Chinese and Indian restuarants around.

Driving into Dublin is a bit of a pain whilst the port tunnel works are going on, I tend to go in via Ballymun/Glasnevin which is a bit quicker.

Sarah

I don't live there but I like it. Would have bought a house there but I wanted to live near a train line. There are lots of nice restaurants, plenty of shops and a gym. I think the cinema is opening soon enough.

Back