Estate Car or MPV/SUV?

mc-BigE

I read an article on last Saturday’s Independent about how the estate cars days are numbered! And that the majority of practical cars sold now are MPV’s. rather than estate cars.
So what are the pros and cons?

I drive an estate 3 series and I find it very handy for transporting big items and with the seats down I could put a 6’ tall fridge/freezer in no problem, however the opening space is not the biggest and wheel arches take up space in the inside.
But the car drives perfectly, low centre of gravity , corners as good as a saloon. IMHO.
My brothers MPV is a scenic (not the seven seater grand scenic) and his boot space is smaller with his seats up than the BM and my car is longer (just) when parked side by side. Also his car at speed is a bit “rolly” when going around corners because of the higher centre of gravity.

So my question is why buy a MPV when you can buy an Estate Car?

And which one would you go for?

I agree entirely, even though I drive an MPV myself. Seven bums, seven seats... :rolleyes: (I'm looking forward to downsizing, some day!)

There have been a couple of previous threads that might be of interest:
Which 7 Seat Diesel MPV
Recommendations on MPV 6 0r 7 seater

The Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra are all basically the same car with a different badge, and the Diesel versions are particularly good. But if you don't have to have seven seats and are more likely to use the space for carrying bulky items, I'd recommend a good Volvo estate any day...

MPV's are good for kids. Better visibilty. Flexible seating is another plus. I owned a couple of C-Max's and with the seats out it's as big as a van.

Handling isn't as good - can't be. You could live with it however.

They are popular though, and resale is easier.

Back