Estate Agents - Confused!

DeKi

I am about to sell my house in Lucan and at this stage have interviewed over half a dozen agents - am totally confused though as some seem to offer very cheap rates but don't have a huge presence in the locality. The degrees of professionalism, prices quoted etc...vary so much......Any tips!

if you know how much the house is worth and do not mind a few hours of very highly paid work !! then stick it in the paper yourself and don't bother with the estate agent.

When demand is so high, I can not understand why more people don't sell their own houses...laziness or a lack of understanding that the solicitor does the important work.

I sold a house recently for 5 grand more than the house 3 doors down(identical) sold for with an estate agent two weeks later. I advertised it in the parish newsletter for 8 euro..best 8 euro ever spent !!

My neighbour has recently sold in Lucan with one of the big names in the village, and judging by the service she has received, I would definitely try and sell it myself first and save four and a half grand.

The Estate agent was totally scatty, did not seem interested in the property and told her to take sale agreed within two weeks after the second viewing.

I am considering moving and will definitely be selling myself.

You should have a look at these www.fsbo.ie and www.privateseller.ie. I agree with the above, stick an ad on DAFT, an ad in the paper, let's face it's fairly easy to work out what your property is worth from recent sales in the area. I can't understand people handing over 1% or so to an estate agent for showing a few people around.

Just to add another point to the above. I am interested in moving within Lucan and saw a property I was interested in. I have phoned the agent twice to enquire and did not get a call back. I have just phoned again and got through to someone to be told "its under negotiation - going to go sale agreed", in a very dismissive attitude.

Do I need someone like this dismissing interested parties from my house? I think not. Will definitely sell myself.

Yes MandaC a woman i work with said 2 days after they went sale agreed a couple came knocking on their door, saying that they had contacted the EA a few days before and were told it was sale agreed and they were too late when this hadn't been true at all at the time. I reckon the EA just wants his money and move on to the next sale. Even at such high percentages on commission a few grand more for the seller is not much to the EA.

MandaC - it wouldn't be a house in Griffeen Glen, would it? I called to enquire (just moved in down the road and keeping an eye on prices for a while - hoping for an increase before the bubble bursts). Anyway, it's an EA I hadn't heard of before and he never returned my calls - twice I called him.

I wouldn't want to be the sellers, I can tell you!

No, the one I was looking at was in Laraghcon. I will add that the Estate Agent my next door neighour used (she said she was rubbish) and the one I phoned who never returned my calls are two different agencies!

It does not say much for the professionalism of the Estate Agents in the area in General.

By the way, a guy in our office was after a house in Hillcrest, which again had gone sale agreed. Three months later he said to me, do you know that house is still sale agreed/

I advised him to put a note in the letterbox and let the vendor know he was interested in the house, should it come back onto the market. He had nothing to loose, as the house was already gone. The purchaser contacted him and they had a good chat. It turned out that the original purchaser was messing about with contracts, etc. and the seller was under severe pressure as he was in danger of losing his new property. The Estate agent did nothing. Anyway, after waiting for 4 months and no contracts, the vendor instructed the Estate agent to put the house back onto the market and to sell to my friend. (still for the original price, in fairness) and the vendor still paid the EA his full commission. My friend was delighted! This is again a different Estate Agent in Lucan!

So thats an example of three out of (I dont know how many there are in Lucan now) and I would hate to think that sellers are loosing out on potential buyers because of sheer laziness!

I think selling houses in Lucan is, quite frankly, money for jam. All they have to do is put it up on myhome.ie, turn the key in the door and answer the phone. ontour and lmd are absolutely right. Take the chance, put it up on daft.ie yourself and sell it privately.

I spoke to one today who was extremely helpful - they sell almost everything that goes on in my area so I'm thinking about going with them - I'm also going to view properties over the next few days with a variety of them to see what exactly goes on and I think that should give me a good indicition! from calling diferent agents I couldn't believe some of the viewing times I was being offered though - 10am week day when we're all at work...I don;t think so! One offered me a variety of properties on a Saturday afternoon which seemed fair enough!

Hey guys,
I'm about to sell my house, Clonee, at the moment ... Had 2 EA's in so far ... 1 based in the city and 1 in Blanchardstown village (10 minutes from Clonee) ... The one in city says that aswell as advertising on Daft and MyHome they have thousands of people havin a look in their window along the quay's ... Is this a plus ? ... The one in Blanch also advertises on Daft and MyHome but would have 90% of window viewers from Dublin 15 area ... Is this a plus ? ...
Please advise ...

Hey guys,
I'm about to sell my house, Clonee, at the moment ... Had 2 EA's in so far ... 1 based in the city and 1 in Blanchardstown village (10 minutes from Clonee) ... The one in city says that aswell as advertising on Daft and MyHome they have thousands of people havin a look in their window along the quay's ... Is this a plus ? ... The one in Blanch also advertises on Daft and MyHome but would have 90% of window viewers from Dublin 15 area ... Is this a plus ? ...
Please advise ...
=============================================

Salem, I recently sold (Nov '05) in Blanchardstown and bought in Lucan. I used an EA in Blanch Village and has interviewed another 5 before I gave them my business. Mt strategy was to find out what was on offer and play one against another for fees, it worked and i got 11k above expectations when I sold plus good customer service too!! (pm if you want more details of the EA I used) In regard to earlier posts, yes its a no brainer to sell a house in Lucan at the mo but equally the seller can really negotiate on fees. I don't fully agree with those recommending selling their own...I considered this but you can't get onto myhome which is really the main portal for sales these days and othe rprivate sites don't just have the traffic, also there are issues around time, and in some senses its nice to be at a distance from negotiations.

Salem, when we bought we didn't look in EA windows at all. We used myhome.ie and daft.ie (mostly myhome) and viewed those houses. While in the area we also drove around and if we spotted other signs up would call to enquire. I don't think window viewings should play any role in your decision. (But if it did, I would probably use the one in the area as well!)

Back