Estate Agent rushing buyer to arrange building survey

MillerI

I would be grateful for some guidance with this. We are 'sale agreed' on a house, and are trying to arrange a survey of the house as required by the Estate Agent. I want to be present during the engineer's visit, as I am not comfortable paying for the service (or for the house) without seeing for myself what the engineer does/checks. I also want the engineer to have the house's documentation (maps, planning, etc.) before the survey, so they are able to determine whether it all matches.

The EA is saying the survey should be done without the documentation and without me being present, and have given a very tight, non-negotiable deadline for the survey to be completed.

Is this correct, if not, what are my options?

It would be unusual to attend with the engineer. Have you asked the engineer if this is ok? He might not want someone there looking over his shoulder.

Do you anticipate a problem with the house not matching the maps? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Brendan

I would be grateful for some guidance with this. We are 'sale agreed' on a house, and are trying to arrange a survey of the house as required by the Estate Agent. I want to be present during the engineer's visit, as I am not comfortable paying for the service (or for the house) without seeing for myself what the engineer does/checks. I also want the engineer to have the house's documentation (maps, planning, etc.) before the survey, so they are able to determine whether it all matches.

The EA is saying the survey should be done without the documentation and without me being present, and have given a very tight, non-negotiable deadline for the survey to be completed.

Is this correct, if not, what are my options?
What do you mean by tight deadline?
From my experience, documentation was sent to solicitor with contracts after survey.

It's none of the EAs business whether or not you are present while the engineer is conducting the survey

It is not at all unusual for the engineer to request the maps etc, most insist on it.

Many engineers prefer not to have you looking over their shoulder, but I've never met one who wouldn't agree to meet on-site at the end of the survey to discuss and display any key concerns. I'd insist on this.

It's in everybody's interest, your's included, for the survey to be conducted and the report produced expeditiously. Get the first date your engineer has available and give it to the EA, and tell them that you need the map beforehand.

I prefer to see contracts with planning documentation and a Land Registry Compliant map ( if applicable) before advising my purchasers to
send out the surveyor.

Anecdotally, I understand that it can be quite difficult to get a surveyor so sometimes clients will go ahead and spend money before I see the contract for that reason.

I find that Estate Agents can be very pushy about surveys- mainly, I think, because they want to finish their end of things and move on to the next sale. There is also the psychological aspect of "tying" the purchasers into the project.

Occasionally, and it's not that often, the contracts will show up big problems e.g. no actual title, no planning permission or certification for works done, boundary problems etc., etc.

Why would you spend money on a survey on a property that you may not be able to buy?

mf

Reactions: jim
Thank you so much for all the feedback! The EA, I think the biggest in Ireland, wants the survey done by Tuesday the 12th and said this is non-negotiable. Weird using that word at the very start of a sale.

I asked the EA to pass on my concerns to the vendor, saying I'm sure they'll understand, unless something concerning about the house is being kept from me.

I don't intend to look over the shoulder of the engineer, but I would like to be present since I'm paying for their service. Especially with some of the reviews I see for most surveyors. Have not come across one yet without one bad review.

Is there any way to compel the EA to allow the survey after the maps have been sent to my solicitor?

Many engineers prefer not to have you looking over their shoulder, but I've never met one who wouldn't agree to meet on-site at the end of the survey to discuss and display any key concerns. I'd insist on this.
I did this exactly this years ago, it was invaluable.

It’s unreasonable for an EA to object to this.

We met our surveyor away from the property for this discussion post survey. Can you do this? We knew very little what to look for (hence relying on a professional) so I am not sure that being present would have helped (unless maybe we brought someone else eg friend or family in construction along) and had to trust in the bona fides of the surveyor. We didn't need a visual on what the report highlighted as the surveyor included pictures for the points he called out. I doubt we all would have climbed into the attic for eg to look at the roof, insulation, water tank etc.

In a sellers market. The seller ( and their agent) can insist that you proceed quickly or they will sell to someone else.
It might be the EA being hardnosed for the sake of it. it might be the seller wanting a very quick sale, or it might be both of them trying to pull a fast one as they know the survey will show something up,

It may not seem fair to you and I feel for you but they can sell the house to anyone they want to.

When can your engineer do it ? If it is only a delay of a few days past their "deadline" they would be stupid to pull out but you cant stop them,

Talk to the surveyor to ensure they're happy with you tagging along first. The better ones will have no issue, but may look to charge more as explaining things to you as they go will take more time.

If there are any concerns about the boundaries, ensure the surveyor knows this in advance and get a copy of the maps yourself. Not all surveyors will offer an opinion on the accuracy of boundaries, but again, expect to pay more for a proper assessment.

Tell the EA that a surveyor is impossible to pin down to a specific date because they're all so busy but you're trying your best to get it sorted ASAP. Not much he can say to that?

That is an excellent solution.

Hello,

How long has it been since you went sale agreed ?

There's no logic to setting what appears to be a tight deadline for an engineer's report, unless it's been dragging on for a while, or the vendor has something they are trying to hide.

Assuming this hasn't been dragging on, I'd schedule an engineer to do the inspection as soon as you can, and notify the sales agent that the engineer will need access on the relevant date, copying the engineer on the email to the estate agent.

I'd forget going with the engineer - you'll only slow the process down, and run up extra costs. If you don't have the expertise to know what you are are looking at, then you could be told anything, and you won't know the difference. If you do have the expertise, then why not go to the property yourself, seperately, and make a note of your concerns, then share them with the engineer, before their inspection? If you don't trust the person that you are engaging to do the report, from the outset, then you need to ask yourself why engage them, and not someone else!

Is there any chance that there's some confusion between the valuer, and the surveyor, here, btw? I'd expect the estate agent to be pushing for the bank valuation to be done, rather than the engineer's report (assuming you'll be getting a mortgage).

If you are really unhappy with the estate agent's behavior, then arrange to meet them in their offices, talk it through in a reasonable manner, and if you don't get satisfaction, ask to speak to their superior.

Finally, where is the Title to the property, is it with your solicitor for inspection, yet? If so, you've a bit more control on timeliness than the estate agent is making you think. If not, tell your solicitor to chase them up, and also email the estate agent to tell them that the vendor's solicitor is now delaying your progress. Once you're solicitor has the Title, get your solicitor to phone the vendor's solicitor, explain that your are arranging an engineer, and want to progress ASAP, but that you are struggling to get an early appointment due to high demand etc. No harm also having them mention that the estate agent is causing problems, if that is the case, and that the estate agent may put the sale at risk, if they don't cool their jets a bit. That message will get to the vendors, regardless of what any pushy estate agent is trying to tell you, and the vendor wants your money!

Last edited:
UPDATE: I managed to attend the engineer survey this past Friday (along with my husband). Thank you to all for your kind advices! It encouraged me to stand my ground and worked out in the end.

I think it was a positive thing being present and see for ourselves what the survey includes. And I was able to help the engineer locate the boiler as they simply could not find it + the EA rep had no idea where to look. We will have to wait and see the quality final report which has not been issued yet, I guess the BH slows it down a bit.

So far so good though, thank you all again!

Back