Estate agent maybe playing us???

sabrina

We put our house on the market last monday and had our 1st viewing on thursday and they offered us the guide price! Our estate agent is insisting that we take it because he has his mortgage approved and hes ready to go. I thought this was a strange request from an estate agent. We have 6 other appointments to view over the weekend and hes basically telling us to go with this guy!!
It just sounds a bit suss plus the fact that he told me that this guy is approved and works with a 'certain bank' and is ready to do the deal!!! Is it just me or does this sound suss to anyone else? I have told the EA that we would like the other people to view at the weekend as there is no harm and we may get over the guide price.

I feel like i am doing his job and telling the EA what to do instead of him just doing it himself! I imagined all EA would be putting the hard sell on each viewer and pushing for max price they could get, coz the more money we get, the higher their % fee!!! What do you's think?

maybe the bidder is the estate agents friend or he has some association with him. sounds very suss. I would defo wait for more offers to come in.

eimear25 said:
I would defo wait for more offers to come in.

.... and if they don't come in I'd consider switching EA. He should be working for you and making sure he's keeping you as happy as possible.

I think so. I was starting to doubt myself. He even said to me 'i wont allow you to drag out the offer' (we only got the offer yesterday)!!. Surely its up to us when we want to accept or decline the offer. My gut feeling at the mo is that he knows that the guy works for 'a certain bank' and for all we know they could of done some sort of deal etc etc

yeah... i am going to let the viewings go ahead for tomorrow because he's not showing them around , one of the girls in office is, so we may get a result. We had another view today and he was showing, so i have no idea yet how that went. I just hope he didnt put them off ('if he is in a deal with the other guy')

Bit underhanded, but if he is playing you its not even in the same league....

Might be worth having a friend or member of the family phone up in relation to the property. Get them to ask a few questions and give him the opportunity to try and put them off the property.

It may do a little to confirm/remove the idea of a "deal".

Wasn't this EA the person who advised you of the price to look for in the first place.

He's suppost to be working for you to get the maximum price that he can for the property. How can he possibly do this if he is not letting every potential purchaser see the property.

Sack him

Murt

Have already done that and he just said that there is an offer of 'x' in and there are 6 more viewings. My relation asked if he could book a viewing for early next week and he said it will be gone by monday!!!!!!!!! Its all a bit mad!!

Bin him for sure. Do you have a contract with him? If so check the small print before you get rid of him.

no contract as such, just letter outlining price of fee and advertisment. i was going to advertise myself on daft but my husband want to go with an agent for quick sale.... i just wanted to save 3000/4000 euro!!!

askalot said:
Bin him for sure. Do you have a contract with him? If so check the small print before you get rid of him.

I'm not sure who/where you'd go to justify it, but given his performance to date I'd presume there must be a way to cancel ANY contract given that he obviously isn't performing to an adaquate level.

He should be herding anyone with an interest towards your house and seeking every possible bid to up the price. Trying to "bully" someone into accepting an offer has never and will never be part of an EA's job. Putting off further interest saying "It'll be gone" should be instant grounds for dismissal, contract or none, IMHO.

But do investigate the impacts this may have before taking any action.

I will. I am seriously considering taking it off the market and then advertising it myself on daft.ie save a few quid but we have also put a deposite on a house so we need to get things rolling!!! As if it wasnt stressful enough moving house!!!!!!

Hi Sandra- we might be interested! what general area are you located in?

Cheers

I'd like to remind posters of the Posting Guidelines re. advertising and wanted ads. Deal with each other by PM if you wish, but not on the public forums.

redo said:
Name and Shame time. Give us his name and company please

Fully agree he deserves a right good public kicking (verbal of course) for his "performance" to date.... but I'd wait until your house is well and truly out of his hands, and possibly yours, before I'd be responsible for posting his details on a public forum. (to be honest not sure if I would at all, but it's a personal call on that)

I wont be naming and shaming. We will see what his performance is like over the weekend. I will not be needing his services after monday if i still think hes up to something! He'll just loose out on @4,000 euro.

I had my house on the market for around 2 weeks. Day by day bidders would up the offer until, basically there was only one left. At this stage my agent, recommended that I have a think about it over the weekend.

Back