Estate Agent Fees

Squidward

We hope to be putting our property on the market in the next few weeks and have interviewed a few estate agents to date. Below is a list of what I've been quoted.

Castle 1.25% plus VAT 295.00 plus Vat for Advertising.

Tom Maher .85% plus VAT 400 plus VAT for Advertising.

Movehome.ie 1499 plus VAT 350 plus VAT for Advertising.

Are these figures resonable, and has anybody had any dealings with these agents?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Selling PriceAgent200,000300,000400,000500,000Castle3,3824,8946,4077,919Tom Maher2,5413,5704,5985,627MoveHome2,2392,2392,2392,239
The 12 figures above show what the final fee will be depending on agaent and selling price.

So unless you're selling your house for under €200,000, MoveHome is
the best value objectively. However, I don't know which would actually sell your house faster. Personnally, I would choose MoveHome since I hate the way other Estate Agents charge a percentage of the selling price. I know it prompts them to seek a higher price for you but consider the case of Castle. Depending on whether they sell your house for €200,000 or €500,000, there is about €4,500 in the difference in their final fee. That really bugs me. It's not like they do anything really different.

Movehome.ie would be the best value of estate agents, and I do admire them for setting the fee. However as I think I may have previously posted we wasted 3 months with our house on the web using them as we wouldn't accept offers 20,000 below what movehome originally valued our house at and told us they 'were confident' they could get for us. As a result we decided to sell ourselves. I would have had no problem paying them if they had gotten us the price they valued our house for but the truth is, they are like all EA's, they want a quick sale and after a few weeks they plain stopped putting the work in. If I was going to go with an EA I would make sure it's close to your property as I found that viewings were an inconvenience to them when they weren't local to my area.

Obviously I'm bitter about the time wasted, maybe other people have used them and found them better........

Anyway I still just can't stop thinking about the fact that Estate Agents will never be as interested in 'selling' your property to a viewer than you would be yourself. Good luck whatever you do anyway!

We recently got 0.5% + VAT from Property Team, 0.7% (negotiable) from SherryFitz, and 1% from Remax, but I'd say it depends on your location (we are in Co. Dublin-NS).

Sell it yourself on Daft.ie and don't be wasting your money on some muppet in a suit.

There was a guy on the radio this morning promoting a website service for selling your own house - www.sellityourself.ie . From the bit I heard, you can advertise on the website and get a board to put outside your house for €195.

If I offered to pay you a couple of thousand to sell a property would you do it (it will take you maybe 20 hours work)? you can get an idea about value from 3 free quotes off local auctioneers (bearing in mind some adopt open low to attract interest and others promise high prices for your business). That is exactly what you are getting by doing by selling your own house. Of course, you can do what some people on this website like to do, and use an auctioneer on a commission basis, while you get worked up over a couple of hundred quid in outlay incurred by your Solicitor.

Can oyou choose to sell thorugh two or more estate agents. It appears common practice in Co Waterford ( sometimes up to 4 estate agents signs on one property)

Unfortunately we both work long hours and could not dedicate the time needed to sell the house ourselves. My gut feeling is to go with Tom Maher as he is very popular in my area plus the majority of his signs have sale agreed within a few weeks, however movehome.ie are about 2200 cheaper.

So do I go with an old reliable or take a risk with a cheaper newcomer??

A monkey could sell a house in the current climate so it doesn't matter one jot who you go with. The market will dictate the price. Not you or your agent or anyone else.

If you want to throw €2200 into the fire then go ahead and ask Tom to sell your house.

You could also go to the zoo and ask to borrow a monkey for a few days and let him sell it for you. Shouldn't cost you much more than €50 in peanuts and bananas.

Real sensible advice.

If the OP has said that they want an estate agent to sell their house, why not just let them? It's their own choice.

Advice on peanuts, monkeys and muppets is just tiresome and can be kept for Letting Off Steam or Shooting The Breeze, or Mooney Goes Wild, if it was still on.

Ballyman,

Not having a pop, but I do find your posts very repetetive, you are constantly offering to sell peoples' houses for them or telling them to sell it themselves. Not everyone wants to be/or is in a position to do this. Fair enough - say it when they ask should they sell it themselves but not at any chance you get. Squidward was asking about the agents rates, not a riddle on zoo animals!

Just for the record, I sold my house on www.sellityourself.ie The house sold within two weeks and we got more than what the estate agent had valued the house at. We saved over €6000 by selling it ourselves. It was painless.

Just for the record, I sold my house on www.sellityourself.ie The house sold within two weeks and we got more than what the estate agent had valued the house at. We saved over €6000 by selling it ourselves. It was painless.

Yeah annemarie, given that all your posts to date have been on the site in question and that this is the home page in your public profile, I'd like to know if you have any connection with www.sellityourself.ie

Underhanded and sneaky spamming is the worst kind and may even lead to all mentions of the site in question being deleted from AAM, whether good or bad :mad: .

We saved over €6000 by selling it ourselves. It was painless.
How can you say that? The EA may have achieved a better price, you can't say for definite that they wouldn't have.
I am also Dublin NS, i got 0.5% up to 381K and 0.75% above that. I imagine most EA's in Dublin anyway will negotiate, and there are a number of EA's who will quote 0.5%.

Back