ESRI's renewed crticism of the Central Bank's mortgage restrictions

That's correct Brendan.

BCAR, dual aspect/units per common core requirements, development levies and part V are costing too much.
I've seen reports suggesting the per unit cost of BCAR & Part V are €37k in Ireland compared to approx €300 in the North.
At least the latest directive from the Dept Envi sought to alleviate the units per core & dual aspect issue but to add insult to injury DCC & DLRCC now required passive standards. Not everyone can afford a rolls royce - most people are fine with a ford mondeo.

The most popular political theory now seems to be a vacant site tax. Adding more costs to the cost of construction is not going to solve this problem.

Hi odyssey

Yes, but they also wanted to make it fairly easy for everyone to understand.

I am not sure why they picked the 3.83 figure for the study. But I haven't read the whole paper.

Brendan

Hi odyssey
Yes, but they also wanted to make it fairly easy for everyone to understand.
I am not sure why they picked the 3.83 figure for the study. But I haven't read the whole paper.
Brendan

I appreciate that, but they seem to have focused too much on the press release side of things ... Given the fixed costs in new houses e.g. council levies, building standards, I think anyone seeking a mortgage would be prepared to fiddle with a calculator (a real one or an app) if 3.83 put them in range for a property where 3.5 would not.

Back