ESB bill

K

Kirian

Hi,
just wondering what would be a typical electricity bill (i.e. 2 month period) for a 1 bed appartment?
I have an electric shower and electric storage heating.

I'm renting and have just started to pay an ESB bill (first place in Ireland). My bill was over 200Euors, is this excessive or fairly typical?

thanks in advance.

Do you have night rate electricity (2 meters and 2 tariffs on your bill - Day and Night)

Electric Storage Heating is expensive, especially if you don't have night rate electricity

I would have said if you have night rate electricity that bill sounds too high (I would have thought ~100/120 would be more like it?) ... however if you don't have night rate electricity I'm not sure ?

Also is the meter reading based on an estimate (if the reading has an E on it) ... if so you may have been over charged - but they should balance it off when the next bill is made up on a real reading of the meter

Also when you moved in was the meter reading taken properly ?

dont know bout anyone else but i got my ESB bill the other day and it was for nearly 2 and a half months rather than 2, rates are upped it was €180, my last bill was €110 the one before that was about €70 or €80

check readings

KIRIAN,

Check your meter and compare actual units used to the number of units charged for on your bill.
The bill you received could be based on an estimated reading rather than an actual one.

Re: check readings

You might also check if you have a drip even a small drip on a hot water tap will run up your bill dramaticaly.

€200 sounds a lot - I'm in a 2bed townhouse, electric everything, and my last (Xmas period) bill was approx €120. Your post suggests you're new to Ireland - did you leave the heating on constantly - that'll rack up the bill.

On your bill, there are sections indicating present and previous meter readings. If there is an "E" beside one or both, then it is an estimated reading.

The ESB are meant to bill you six times annually, they are. By their own admission, they are allowed two estimates in that period (it all balances out anyhow). As of late, they have been overdoing the estimates and saving on manpower. Fact. They apologised to me.

It can be important to make sure that you call in a correct reading every few months at least - there was a story here on AAM a while back about people who were out at work every time the meter reader came and who always had an estimated reading.

When their meter eventually got seen and a correct reading made it turned out that the ESB estimates had been significantly too low and they owed quite a lot of money.

z

experience

.......and my comment above was prompted by an experience where the householder had overpaid significantly for the first few billing periods, not realising the bills were based on repeated estimated readings which turned out to be far higher than genuine usage.

No doubt, either way, keep an eye on the meter.

Back