Eoin O'Broin: "Rising interest rates for landlords do not result in an increased cost "

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were a young person hoping to buy a home in Ireland why would you support either of the 2 parties who have got us to this point? I have never voted SF and don't plan to but I can absolutely understand why people desperate for change would give them a chance.
But if you were a smart young person you'd see SF and other opposition parties regularly objecting to and blocking housing developments that might go a little way towards addressing the supply issues.

But if you were a smart young person you'd see SF and other opposition parties regularly objecting to and blocking housing developments that might go a little way towards addressing the supply issues.
If you are rich and old then the Shinners are absolutely the party you should vote for.
If you are young and not wealthy but educated and working then they are the last party you should vote for.

I think that's harsh on under 40s - plenty of people much older than that who voted for Haughey, Healy Raes, Varadkar and other assorted misfits. There are very few voters of any age delving into party manifestos or policy documents.
Varadkar and the other governments we've had since the Crash have, on balance, done an excellent job economically.
The last Haughey government also did an excellent job economically. They also started the Peace Process in Northern Ireland.

Parish pump and populist politicians like the Healy Raes, Shane Ross, the Shinners and just about all the independents area different kettle of fish.
If you were a young person hoping to buy a home in Ireland why would you support either of the 2 parties who have got us to this point?
Back in the 80's the 40,000 to 60,000 people who left the country each year couldn't afford to buy a house. We currently have no net emigration of Irish people.
I have never voted SF and don't plan to but I can absolutely understand why people desperate for change would give them a chance.
People who are desperate for change but haven't actually thought about what change they want or the consequences of that change, are economically illiterate, and are okay with child killers running the country could absolutely give them a shot, I mean chance.

Hi

But, unlike us, it can safely borrow in its own currency and print dollars to repay it.
So can we, but that's what's caused the inflation we are seeing and the massive increases in property prices that so many people are giving out about.

Just the polarisation and quasi-fascism so!
If anything 2016 was both a reaction to and consequence of the ongoing polarisation that has blighted US politics and society for decades. As was 2020 and as will undoubtedly be 2024.

What quasi-fascism? My understanding was that the separation of powers under their tricameral system makes fascism largely impossible to achieve in the US.

If anything 2016 was both a reaction to and consequence of the ongoing polarisation that has blighted US politics and society for decades. As was 2020 and as will undoubtedly be 2024.

What quasi-fascism? My understanding was that the separation of powers under their tricameral system makes fascism largely impossible to achieve in the US.
Polarisation has clearly increased a lot since 2016, not exclusively because of Trump, but he has had a big part to play.

Fascism isn’t something you can ‘achieve’. Look at events since 2016, the decline of truth, the continuing rise of propaganda, denial of election results, the siege on the Capitol, Roe vs Wade.

The US is many many times more polarised now than it was 20ish years ago, for example.

Fascism isn’t something you can ‘achieve’. Look at events since 2016, the decline of truth, the continuing rise of propaganda, denial of election results, the siege on the Capitol, Roe vs Wade.
Fascism is a system of government. The events and phenomena you list are nothing really to do with how a country is governed. Candidates and a mob disputing election results and a Supreme Court decision simply do not connote fascism, except in the context of, as you put it, the continuing rise of propaganda and the decline of truth.

Anyway, we're gone off-topic here.

I suppose the only consolation is that if they do get into government, their erstwhile supporters fury will know no bounds as it slowly dawns on them that, no, after all, they're not all going to get their a-rated houses handed to them on a plate within a matter of months. Imagine the look on O Broin's face as the opposition get stuck into him when the homeless figures continue to rise (they will, you know) and he realizes with a sinking feeling that house completion numbers can't just be willed upwards by sheer force of his rhetoric.
The Shinner schtick has always been that they're different from all those other leftie parties that over promised and under-delivered. (Labour, DL, Greens etc.) So far, the gullible are swallowing it. When reality dawns, the Shinners will take a hammering at the subsequent election that will reduce them to single figures in Dail Eireann.

Unless they've abolished elections by then....
They'll blame FF/FG for years though.. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back