Eoghan Harris fired

cremeegg

I see that Eoghan Harris has been fired by the Sunday Indo. As the anonymous account of another well known media personality.
Cremeegg would like to say it couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.

I see that Eoghan Harris has been fired by the Sunday Indo. As the anonymous account of another well known media personality.
Cremeegg would like to say it couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.

Everyone knows you are John Waters.....

I decided to check out his Wiki page to remind myself of his irrelevance.

A member of Official SF in the 1970's that moved to Marxism at the very time that the national question would engulf politics once again.

When Official SF became sidelined it became the Workers Party, itself destined to extinction. He would abandon the Workers Party and Marxism in support of social democracy. The Democratic Left emerged and this party would eventually demise and be subsumed into the Labour party.

He worked with Mary McAleese in RTE and would deride her candidacy for President, only to regret his views about her.

He was a prominent critic of John Hume who would subsequently be honoured the Nobel Peace prize and is broadly considered one of Ireland's greatest statesmen and a prominent architect of the GFA which Harris would subsequently support.

An unrepentant supporter of the US 2003 invasion of Iraq. He derided the work of renowned journalist Robert Fisk.

With a total abandonment of his Marxist views he embraced full-on neo-liberal economics of the FF and PDs and remained a steadfast Bertie supporter right up to those economic policies would crash the economy.

Today, his weekly column reads as a bitter chip on both shoulders against SF.

He has taken the side of ditching the backstop and blaming Varadaker for the current impasse.
Going by his track record, I wouldn't put too much weight on his views.

And if my rumour mill is correct, the Independent.ie was taken over by new owners over the last couple of years?
Declining sales and an obvious momentum shift towards the prospect of Irish Unity has made Harris a boil to be lanced. The independent got their excuse and promptly dumped him.

I wouldn't be a fan of his writings or his contributions to public discourse. (I doubt he thinks much of me either!)

That said, the insinuation that he was sending sexualised tweets to Aoife Grace Moore is nonsense.

Harris tweeted:

“Moore thinks she is sniping safely from behind Derry hedges, but she’s actually sniping from an ROI hedge in the Examiner and her Sinn Féin backside is sticking up in the air.”

Moore tweeted that Harris had:

“sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald ‘turned me on’, the size of my ar$e and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. "

Harris tweeted:

“Moore thinks she is sniping safely from behind Derry hedges, but she’s actually sniping from an ROI hedge in the Examiner and her Sinn Féin backside is sticking up in the air.”

Moore tweeted that Harris had:

“sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald ‘turned me on’, the size of my ar$e and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. "

True, seems a bit of an overreaction, except...
... it wasn't 'Harris' it was an anonymous fake account of Barbara J Pym.
Barbara J Pym, an English author, graduate from Oxford who would wear a Swastika pin.

If Harris had been upfront with his verbals I'm sure AGM could give as good as she got?
Although I suspect, if Harris was being upfront he would not have made reference to Moore's physique at all?

The anonymity of the account is what makes the comments insidious.
Also, AGM states that she labelled a terrorist also.

Pretty low-brow stuff really. As Harris admitted, the account was set up so he could say things that wouldn't be published in the Sindo.
For a journalist to target other journalists in this way, given the platform they already hold, is pure gutter.

I'm delighted Harris is gone. Low-brow, gutter, paranoid, bordering on the psychotic.
I wish him good health into his retirement, but otherwise good riddance.

I see the Sindo are advertising tomorrow's paper focussing on Harrisgate. I wouldn't miss it. Wolfie you will have to subscribe.

I read the editor's piece. It seems that this is the culmination of a row between EH and the editor going back to January. There was something distasteful in the editor having a completely free run on his side of that row. Comments like "to be fair to Eoghan" seemed faux. There was also a sinister backdrop that the tweets had been critical of the big boys in INM (or their wives) and we don't know what pressure the editor came under from that quarter. The deputy editor duly weighed in behind the party line. Anyway there were no references to the sexist tweets.

What is a fake Twitter account? I have to 'fess up to AAM contributors that I am not in fact the duke of anything.

Last edited:
Wolfie you will have to subscribe.

I resisted the urge, thankfully.

There was something distasteful in the editor having a completely free run on his side of that row.

From what I'm reading in Twitter-land Harris's 'double-life' was exposed to the editor Alan English as far back as October last year.
Direct questions put to him about Harris and his multiple accounts were left unanswered. With the onset of legal action against Harris, and/or Independent Newspapers, English took the decision to dump on Harris.
The insidious nature of Harris attacks on other journalists in anonymous form, and it being tolerated at editorial level, has real potential to destroy its standing as a reputable news outlet.
I suspect this affair has some legs on it as yet to run.

@WolfeTone I think AE is disingenuous. He cites a refusal to accept EH's resignation letter a while back as evidence he wasn't looking for an excuse to fire him. At the time of EH's resignation letter it would have looked bad to lose him, EH was against SF/IRA having a right of reply, many Sindo readers would agree. So I do believe that Twittergate gave him the excuse to fire him.
Having said that I am no fan of EH. I don't believe in Damascan conversions.

I decided to check out his Wiki page to remind myself of his irrelevance.

A member of Official SF in the 1970's that moved to Marxism at the very time that the national question would engulf politics once again.

When Official SF became sidelined it became the Workers Party, itself destined to extinction. He would abandon the Workers Party and Marxism in support of social democracy. The Democratic Left emerged and this party would eventually demise and be subsumed into the Labour party.

He worked with Mary McAleese in RTE and would deride her candidacy for President, only to regret his views about her.

He was a prominent critic of John Hume who would subsequently be honoured the Nobel Peace prize and is broadly considered one of Ireland's greatest statesmen and a prominent architect of the GFA which Harris would subsequently support.

An unrepentant supporter of the US 2003 invasion of Iraq. He derided the work of renowned journalist Robert Fisk.

With a total abandonment of his Marxist views he embraced full-on neo-liberal economics of the FF and PDs and remained a steadfast Bertie supporter right up to those economic policies would crash the economy.

Today, his weekly column reads as a bitter chip on both shoulders against SF.

He has taken the side of ditching the backstop and blaming Varadaker for the current impasse.
Going by his track record, I wouldn't put too much weight on his views.

And if my rumour mill is correct, the Independent.ie was taken over by new owners over the last couple of years?
Declining sales and an obvious momentum shift towards the prospect of Irish Unity has made Harris a boil to be lanced. The independent got their excuse and promptly dumped him.
Excellent summary though describing FF under Bertie as Neo-Liberal is beyond ridiculous.

I believe Fintan O'Toole has written on this in todays Irish Times. It will be good to get the definitive view on the subject from someone who is morally pure, like the Bishops used to be (but not the Pope, Mickey Dee is the only one at that level).

I believe Fintan O'Toole has written on this in todays Irish Times. It will be good to get the definitive view on the subject from someone who is morally pure, like the Bishops used to be (but not the Pope, Mickey Dee is the only one at that level).
Purple I advise you not to read FOT's piece. I feel so guilty after reading this tirade against the mortal sin of anonymity.

Back