Entitlements for UK citizen in Ireland

Honestly

Hi

My partner moved here mid-pandemic (late 2020) after being made redundant due to the pandemic. They were still looking for work in the UK until April 2021, when they decided to stay in Ireland. They ceased receiving UK benefits then and got a job here in May 2021. That contract just came to an end, and they no longer want to work in that sector. They're taking the summer off, I can afford to support us both. They plan to do some retraining/exploring career stuff during their off time.

They do plan on working again (probably 2023 for a few reasons) and they might go back and do a masters (likely Sept 2023 or later).

I dont think they're entitled to the dole as they may not have enough credits, but my mam was saying because of the Common Travel area, the UK credits might be valid here?

I also didnt want them to register for job seekers, as they're choosing not to work and I am covering for us, so they shouldnt go for it, but again my mam was saying for 'credits' if my partner does decide to go to college etc, it's important to have a record? Like, apply for it, get assessed based on my income, not qualify, but still have a record?

Someone also suggested we say we're not together, so that they can get adult education grants, but I hate lying. I dont think I could afford to support them for a masters and not working though, so maybe I should look at this?

Back