Entitlements during Illness

R

rodaco

Hi, my story is this. My husband (who is german) and I were living in Germany and decided to move home when I got pregnant (to be near family etc). We moved in August last and my husband started work here around that time. When I had my baby, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Now 6 months later my course of chemo is finished and the prognosis is good. However my husband's company decided not to go ahead with his employment after his probation period was up. it was a very amicable parting and really it was because of a merger that his position no longer existed, they were very generous to him in every way. He has since found another job, but the new guys don't want him to start till July! Now i'm wondering can he receive any unemployment benefits in the meantime, and what about me? Would I qualify for DB? I was working in Germany for 5 years before i moved home. I had been working here for 3 years before I moved to Germany. I'd really appreciate any feedback on this. Oh and btw, baby is just perfect!!

Now i'm wondering can he receive any unemployment benefits in the meantime, and what about me?
Best thing to do is just contact your local SW office to sign on and explain your situation with regard to living in Germany etc. as you may get PRSI credits for any German national/social insurance payments made in the past. Obviously you need to be genuinely seeking and available for work to claim Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance. If you are unable to work due to illness then you may be entitled to some other form of payment. If you are staying at home full time to mind the baby then these payments will not apply but your husband may be able to claim the [broken link removed] when he starts work again. If your husband paid tax to date then while he is unemployed he may be entitled to [broken link removed]. For more info about your entitlements contact CitizensInformation on 1890700121. Congratulations on the new arrival and best wishes for your continued good health.

When you contact the Social Welfare office here have to hand, if possible, your husband's and your own details from Germany, dates of employment, names and addresses of companies where you worked and national insurance contributions numbers. Welfare here will contact Germany to obtain/verify the information, which might help towards your entitlements. Afaik the office is in Berlin and it might take a short while.

Cheers and best wishes

i had to actually go into sw office to organise getting my contributions transferred from uk to ireland, and did get ub based on uk contributions, I do think you only get ub if you have worked or got credits in ireland too.

Back