English pension - can I claim it?

blanketyblank

I have an English pension, not very large, it can be claimed from 60. Do I need to be retired here in order to claim it ? I will still be working here in public sector.

If it’s a private pension, you can access from age 55 (57 from 2028) under U.K. rules

if you are working in Ireland you should consider the tax implications

My english pension would be from the public sector and can be claimed from age 60. I presume if I can claim it I would just have to declare it on my tax returns?
Is there any reason I shouldn't do this while I'm still working here?
Thanks

If you are in the 40% tax bracket, it might be worth enquiring as to whether you would get an actuarial uplift if you were to delay taking your pension. If there is no uplift, then deferring your pension past age 60 doesn’t make any sense, regardless of your marginal tax rate.

My english pension would be from the public sector and can be claimed from age 60. I presume if I can claim it I would just have to declare it on my tax returns?
Is there any reason I shouldn't do this while I'm still working here?
Thanks

Firstly, of course you can claim it right away if you're entitled to it from age 60.

Next, UK tax (if it's a taxable pension) will be deducted from it before you get it - to stop this, you need to download this form and send it to your local (Irish) tax office for completion.

Finally, and as advised by others, unless there's some actuarial and/or tax benefit to be gained from leaving it unclaimed for a few years and you don't need the money immediately, then there's no good reason not to apply for it now.

If it’s a government pension you might be better off paying U.K. tax on it.

Under the Irish U.K. double tax treaty, the U.K. has the taxing rights on government pensions. This means you get your U.K. allowances set against this income.

You then set your Irish allowances against your Irish pension.

If it’s a government pension you might be better off paying U.K. tax on it.

Under the Irish U.K. double tax treaty, the U.K. has the taxing rights on government pensions. This means you get your U.K. allowances set against this income.

You then set your Irish allowances against your Irish pension.

Thats interesting, so am I understanding correctly that you still get allowances from UK even though resident in Ireland? So effectively the UK contr pension is tax free as below the allowances, and this income is not included in Irish revenue Tax calc?

tnx

Thats interesting, so am I understanding correctly that you still get allowances from UK even though resident in Ireland? So effectively the UK contr pension is tax free as below the allowances, and this income is not included in Irish revenue Tax calc?

tnx

So it seems. If you read paragraph 7 of the information leaflet provided at the link I gave you above, the situation is explained - although not particularly well!

"..... If you receive a pension paid by the UK for service to the UK Government or a local authority, there are special
provisions in the Convention. Your pension from that employment will be exempt from UK tax only if you are an Irish national or a dual national of the UK and of Ireland, as well as being resident there. If these provisions mean that your pension will be taxed in the UK, you may be able to claim UK personal allowances, provided that you satisfy certain conditions. For further information go to GOV.UK and search for ‘Personal
allowances’."

Generally speaking within the EU, all pensions derived from working for State authorities are only taxed in the state that provides them whilst all pensions derived from working for private companies or self-employment are only taxed in the state of residence.

What constitutes "State authorities" is rather less well defined but would include working for the civil service, local authorities and some public sector work eg teaching in schools funded by government taxes.

Thanks Shrizman, I cant find the leaflet you mention just the notes to the form, but I read the above as specific to public pensions where you have worked in a government dept (or state authority as JPD mentions).

So this is separate to the contributory state pension, (Which alas is what I was first thinking was referred to when Mark said government pension), therefore the contributory state pension would still be taxable in Ireland.

50+O

Thanks Shrizman, I cant find the leaflet you mention just the notes to the form, but I read the above as specific to public pensions where you have worked in a government dept (or state authority as JPD mentions).

So this is separate to the contributory state pension, (Which alas is what I was first thinking was referred to when Mark said government pension), therefore the contributory state pension would still be taxable in Ireland.

50+O

My bad - I thought that you were the OP when I responded to your question. Apologies.

hI, I'm finally getting around to applying for this pension. Am I right after reading all the above that I don't have to fill out any form for the Irish tax service but to just let it come as it does from theUK?
As I'll still be working here - will the lump sum be free from taxation? - as it's a pension?

Thanks

Yes, pension lump sums, including from UK, are tax free in Ireland.

If it helps, I have income from three UK pensions - State, public service, and private - which I originally took 8/9 years ago while I was still working here, now retired. I had to send a form to (UK) Inland Revenue stating that I was a dual national and on that basis was exempted permanently from UK tax on these. All income from whatever source is taxed together here on your annual return. You don't need to contact (Irish) Revenue about it before that.

Last edited:
If your State and Public Service pension is from working for the UK State (eg teacher) then it is taxable in the UK - of course, there may be no tax due, but that is a different question

I am resurrecting this thread as I've been receiving my English pension since the middle of last year. i received a small lump sum and I get a small amount once a month. I haven't declared it here yet but see from my english P60 that I've been taxed in England on it. They do their tax in April so this was issued in April.
After reading back over these texts am wondering if they are taxing me there - am I also liable for tax here? I still work here and was a public servant while I was there.
Help from anyone with knowledge about this would be appreciated.

I am resurrecting this thread as I've been receiving my English pension since the middle of last year. i received a small lump sum and I get a small amount once a month. I haven't declared it here yet but see from my english P60 that I've been taxed in England on it. They do their tax in April so this was issued in April.
After reading back over these texts am wondering if they are taxing me there - am I also liable for tax here? I still work here and was a public servant while I was there.
Help from anyone with knowledge about this would be appreciated.
Any use?

Back