engine management light on dash

majee

Anyone have experience of this problem. Have an 01 SEAT Alhambra and the engine management light is continually on without any apparent performance problems. Have had a diagnostic done by a ex SEAT main dealer. He says the diagnostic is not specific enough to be absolutely sure but may be down to one of the Lamda probes!? He has 'tweaked' the engine a couple of times (timing was out) and he succeeded in clearing it for almost 300 miles on one occasion and 50 miles on the next ocassion before the light returned. The diagnostic has a coded number (which I don't have to hand) but it something to do with 'lean mix of fuel' if memory serves. I would like to clear the problem as I wish to trade the car soon. Not sure what sort of response I would get from dealers with an engine management problem on the dashboard!

We have a vw beetle with the exact same problem, and thinking about trading it in too, have asked around though and seems to be quite a common issue

Similar problem with our 01 Alhambra — following the first service I had done by a regular mechanic instead of the pricey main dealer (obligatory for the duration of the warranty), the 'Service now' message kept appearing each time the ignition was turned on. Haven't bothered to go back and pay a main dealer to sort it out because it disappears again after a minute, and I know what mileage the next service is due from the sticker on the oil cap — but it does seem to be a common 'gremlin'... :(

The service now sign, can be annoying, but on most cars there is a way of resetting it to zero miles. If you check the manual it should tell you how. I did it on a Skoda Octavia 01 model.

In relation to the light staying on, that is usually a sign that there something maybe major wrong, and I would advise you to bring it into a main dealer adn they can hook it up to the pc which will tell exactly whats wrong, The back street garage normally doesnt have this facility.

This happened me and it turned out to be two probes that needed replacements, cost 400 euro, if I had ignored it the cat converter would have been next costing over a grand.

Jack

Thanks for the replies. My next port of call is probably to replace the 2 probes alright. €400 for the parts is what I've been quoted. If the cat coverter is next then I'll get it done sooner rather than later. I presume this sorted out the problem for you JackFrost?

my dashboard gauges went off 2 days ago and as a result the car couldn't start..after some jiggling a tap on the dashboard, the gauages are back and car started. for past 2 days the gauage seems to be off as i cna see speedometer went and back on within 1 sec..and by the way the airbag light is on since the dashboard gauage having problem 2 days ago..

is this cause by a loose cable? or wat other advice can expert here give me.thx

the 'Service now' message kept appearing each time the ignition was turned on. Haven't bothered to go back and pay a main dealer to sort it out because it disappears again after a minute, and I know what mileage the next service is due from the sticker on the oil cap — but it does seem to be a common 'gremlin'... :(

This is easy to fix if you still have the problem. Hold in the trip mileage button on the dash and turn the ignition key on. That should reset the service indicator.

is your alhambra petrol or diesel?? if its a petrol very common for the engine light to come on as the emmisions monitor system is very senstive .lambda probes are most common to go .but usually give as running to rich reading as apoosed to lean .more the likely you will find it to be an air leak or possible throttle body depending on which petrol engine you have.
any good technican using decent diagnostic equipment should see from the live data what the lamda sensors are doin and why they are doin it. as for setting the timing it is ecu controlled no adjustment.
the engine managment light coming on does not nessarily have to cost the earth just alot of technicans just randomly throw unnessary parts at the car costing the earth.

Have the same problem with a 01 Golf GTI. They changed the lambda probe but the light returned again. I took it back to the garage 4 or 5 times but the light always returned and and in the end I got tired of living in the garage and am just putting up with it with being on.

Back