Energy Usage Analysis - EnergyPal.ie

Sol28

I saw https://www.energypal.ie/ listed on twitter as a way of analysing your data from ESB Networks once you have a smart meter installed, Doesnt have to be activated.

You download your HDF file and then upload it to the site above and it gives you a heat map of your usage by day and hour, and a comparison of the available smart plans (but not the standard plans). Really showed me the times that i am at peak usage and when using little - might be useful for some people who are evaluating plans.

Last edited:
Wow, it's fascinating. Many thanks for the link.

Interesting to discover that, for me, Electric Ireland's Home Electric+ Weekender Free Sat and Home Electric+ Weekender Free Sun Plans are almost twice as expensive as the cheapest plan on offer!

Since it doesnt have the standard plans - you can create a custom one if you know what you are on - to compare your current plan with the options here. I havent validated their unit costs - was more interested in time of day usage

I'll be interested to see if this is any better than the spreadsheet I'm using. The comparison websites are useless as they just assume your split between day, night and peak.

Good tool, thanks for the link.
What's a HDF file and how does one download it?
The HDF is your hourly data file(or half hourly more likely) of usage that your provider should provide for you to download. It's most likely a csv file.
The only identifying info in the file that I could see is your MPRN and serial number for the meter. You could always just find/replace these with something else. I used 0 for each and it loads the data fine.

How do you read the information on energypal.ie? I downloaded my HDF in 'Calculated kWh' format from ESB Networks (anonymised my MPRN in excel) and then uploaded to energypal.ie.

I have a 14 panel array with a 3.68kW inverter. I have checked in my solar monitoring app and roughly those total import (3,271.48kWh) and export (3,228.63kWh) figures seem correct.

Am I reading this correctly that it is estimating my total annual charge for electricity could be €238 if I was on the SSE Airtricity plan at the top? If so, I really need to get off this standard plan I'm on that's costing far more....

1714120276565.png

Note: when I looked at mine, I noted that the import figures were missing from Oct 2023, and before (my smart meter was installed may 2023, and I've the export figures from then. I pull the HDF file from ESB Networks web page. To check yours either look at the raw data and check you've a full dataset, or maybe easier, go to the tab on the energypal site called Historical Export Analysis. This gives a monthly break down of import + export. The problem is the file I downloaded, not the energypal site, however it means that the total charge figure will be wrong - it also *might* be enough to skew the data that the recommended best plan isn't actually the best plan. It doesn't mean that this is the wrong plan, but maybe a bit of attention needs to go in to it. This probably doesn't apply to you as your import/export figures match your app. But might apply to someone else reading this.

Back