ending unemployment benefit

tyler_durden

hey,
i have been getting unemployment benefit while looking for a new job the past two months and have just been offered one - contract starting 13th sep......i was wondering can i still claim unemp. benefit until my first pay date in a months time or does it end from when the new job contract starts?

cheers my dears

Once you are no longer seeking and available for work you no longer qualify for UB. Once you start the job the UB should be terminated. You need to inform the SW office that you are starting work.

and lets say for example i forget to fone them until i receive my first paycheck? do they deduct the weekly payments from me afterwards? how do they find out ive been in employment for a month without me telling them? do they trust individuals to inform them or do they have an ingenius method of aquiring such info?

If you claim welfare payments when you are not entitled to them (e.g. UB when not genuinely available for and seeking work - because you are in work!) then this is welfare fraud.
do they deduct the weekly payments from me afterwards?
If they find that you have been fraudulently claiming benefits then they could well seek reimbursement. There are other penalties too.
how do they find out ive been in employment for a month without me telling them? do they trust individuals to inform them or do they have an ingenius method of aquiring such info?
Perhaps by tracking your PPSN when it goes back into the system - e.g. via your P45 or other Revenue/Welfare forms?

Back