employer pay for course

A

aj

i am changing career, i was in the IT industry for a couple of years and am now attempting to break into the business industry - i have secured a part-time position with a project mgt consultancy for 3 mths

i am interested in getting a qualification, there is a part time business diploma course run over 18 weeks starting soon before i approach my employer to see if they would consider funding the course -

?what could the net cost to the business be if they can avail of tax reductions or similar for a course costing 1400€

?assuming the employer is agreeable, is it possible for them to fund the course even though i only have a part time position, and may not even be employed there for the full duration of the course

It would be VERY unusual for an employer to fund a course for a part-time employee.

Te type of course you are planning to take might also indicate to them that you are not experienced/qualified enough to do the job. "Could" jeopardies future prospects with the company.
Most companies will ask for the course fees back if the employee leaves before a certain specified period of time is past. They obviously want to make money out of their investment.

i know the director of the company well, have been very useful in the past with IT problems

and in the short term i am more useful to the company becasue of my IT skills

im pretty confident that if i ask i will get funding

what i really want to know is what relief could the company claim on the course (which is directly related to the work which the company does)

by the way the course is not listed in revenue tax relief

There is nothing unusual in an employer paying for an employee (whether part or full time) to go on a course. Once the course is related to the business the employee is working in, no BIK arises to the employee. There is no specific allowance to an employer for paying for a course, it is considered to be a legitimate business expense, and will therefore be considered in the Profit and Loss account. If VAT is applied to the course fee and your employer is VAT registered, this will obviously be taken into account.

Can I be nosey and ask what the course is ?
I really wanted to do a business course
and a short course starting soon would be great rather than a full blown 4 year degree part time

either skerrys.ie (cork) or hsi.ie (limerick) are offering icm approved courses

the both start january far as i can see

Back