Emergancy taxed

ASH83

Emergancy taxed - Help - Urgent

Hi All,

Just about to flip my lid!!
Started a new job at the begining of this month.
My previous employer still has not issued my P45 even though i finished with them in December. I rang tax office to make sure i wouldnt be emergancy taxed and the woman said she would sort it out and that she had taken my new employers details and i definetly would not be emergancy taxed.
This morrning i find out iv just been emergancy taxed 1k.
Is there any way of getting this money back without having to wait until next month when i get paid??
I need help on this one urgently iv a morg. and bills that need to be paid badly!!!

Last edited:
If you finished with your previous employer in December the issue is not with the previous employer as this was a different tax year.

Your current employer's payroll department is probably deducting emergency tax because they do not have an up to date Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut Off Point for you. (Your tax office should have sent one to you and to your employer, but maybe they sent it to your old employer if you did not give them your new details).

You could always ask your new employer to sub you the "refund" in advance, once they have your correct certificate.

From revenue.ie :

If an employer does not get either a:

Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point or
Form P45 (parts 2 and 3) from an employee he/she (is) obliged to deduct tax on the emergency basis when paying an employee’s wages or salary. Under the emergency basis, a temporary tax credit is given for the first month of employment but tax deductions are increased progressively from the second month on.

I've never heard of anyone recieving this sort of refund if not from the employer (in the next pay period) or directly from Revenue (usually takes a lot longer than a single month to process). I am however, as always, open to correction if someone knows of a side door I've yet to come across.

From a practical point of view, I'd aim to sort out alternative solutions so you don't end up pulling your hair out. Not sure of your exact situation, but have a quick search through a few of the threads here, find a loan/overdraft/etc that will give you enough to cover the mortage in the short term. You'll be in a position to pay it off in full next month when the refund is given so as long as it has a slight interest free period and no penalties for paying off early it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.... Worth organising for the piece of mind alone.

Back