electricty&gas prices reduced

thedaras

I heard on news that gas& electricty prices are being reduced.
Will this mean that on top of the 14% I get for changing to bord gais for my electricty I will get an extra 10% off,bringing the total deduction to 24%?

I doubt it, I would assume that the 10% is to direct ESB customers only

I doubt it, I would assume that the 10% is to direct ESB customers only

Hmm it appears not. From [broken link removed]

"The reduction in price will apply to all customers using any of the companies"

It appears it is 24% then?

why can't they implement these changes straight away instead of waiting til the end of next month

Another example of RTE innumeracy.

Let's say your electricity cost (not including standing charges) is 100 per billing cycle. If ESB reduces charges by 10%, that will now cost you €90.

If you switch to Bord Gais and qualify for the 14% reduction, you'll save 14% of 90 (€12.60), not 14% of 100. So your electricity cost net of standing charges will be €77.40. A savings of 22.6%, not 24%.

It's still a significant saving of course. But it's not 24%.

it's a consultation that closes 20 March, not a decision. That's why it's not implemented immediately.

I also thought the consultation described cuts to standing charges as well as consumption so it might be a more complex exercise to calculate the final discount at the end, still all good news!

Have Bord Gais and AirTricity confirmed yet that there prices will also fall another 10% in relation to ESB prices with this new cut?

I have electric heating. If I change, will I get off-peak rate and what about the allowances the ESB make for pensioners, will that transfer too?

Yes, of course you will get off peak. You keep the same meters! The Electricity Allowance transfers too, but in the form of a cash credit rather than "free" units, according to the website.

Yes, of course you will get off peak. You keep the same meters! The Electricity Allowance transfers too, but in the form of a cash credit rather than "free" units, according to the website.

Correct. Except the cheque from the DSCFA might not arrive at the same time as the bill, etc. A lot of pensioners don't have bank accounts so there will be hassle around cashing the cheque, etc. Let's face it: it's not going to be as convenient as getting the allowance on the bill as with ESB. And anyhow - Bord Gais doesn't really want them. More trouble than they are worth. And they don't exactly fit in with the Lucy Kennedy demographic. Bord Gais' real message to pensioners is: please stay with the ESB.

Regards,

Fnergg

Back