electricity non direct debit

bestestimate

I'm trying to help out a Ukranian couple who have been threatened with electricity disconnection from the house they are renting. They are more than anxious to sign up and pay for electricity but none of the suppliers will take them on without they signing up for direct debit ( they haven't a bank account set up yet) or a large deposit. They have been trying for the last two weeks to get an account with any supplier .
Apart from prepay , for which there is a waiting list , do any of the other supplier do bill pay ( pay when the bill comes in at the post office or bank) ? They are terrified.
Thanks in advance.

Maybe they get get some info/support here?
Why are they being threatened with disconnection?
It's usually a very last resort on the part of the electricity provider due to arrears or other serious problems.

Maybe they get get some info/support here?
Why are they being threatened with disconnection?
It's usually a very last resort on the part of the electricity provider due to arrears or other serious problems.
Thanks Clubman. Because they just moved in to the house and it had been idle for about 6 weeks.

Thanks Clubman. Because they just moved in to the house and it had been idle for about 6 weeks.
I would assume that some of the support agencies and/or the CRU could help here in order to help prevent them being cut off? And maybe with other stuff like getting a bank account set up etc. You/they should contact them as a matter of urgency.

To be fair, they're not looking for financial help. They just want to get an electricity account with someone so they can pay for it like everybody else.

I don't think its possible to set up an electricity account nowadays without paying a deposit of €250-€300 or signing up to direct debit

For what it's worth:

Will I need to pay a security deposit?​

Your electricity supplier is allowed to charge a deposit. Each supplier has its own deposit policy, which must be fair, transparent and reasonable. The deposit must be returned in the bill you get after your contract ends (your contracted period is usually 12 months). Your supplier must tell you if you are at risk of losing your deposit and describe the steps to take to improve your credit terms.
If you are on a low income and cannot afford to pay a deposit, check if you are eligible for help from your local INTREO office.

The Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) Electricity and gas supplier’s handbook (pdf) has more information about security deposits (on page 27).

Back