Electrician Cost for 2 days work

rustbucket

Having some renovations done and am generally happy with the work and the costs. One thing I forgot about was the electrician costs (my own fault).

I have received a couple of quotes for the below that range from €1300-2000. I thought they were on the high side considering I am supplying all fixtures and fittings (except cabling), and nothing really needs and major wiring back to fuse board etc. The only thing really required is electrician to supply cabling and labour. Builder has already chased new locations into walls.

1. Wire and fit 16 downlights into ceilings
2. Wire and fit 1 electric bathroom fan (just replacing and old one that was there previously)
3. Relocate 4 sockets. Cable already there and powered- builder chased new locations already
4. Wire whirlpool bath into RCD socket (just needs to move this socket slightly)
5. Move one existing ceiling light 1 foot in different direction.
6. Move 2 light switches. 1 in new bathroom where stud wall is in place and cables for old bathroom lights easily moved. 1 in room that is totally stripped.

I would have thought maybe 2 days work?
No investigation required- I have a detailed knowledge of locations of all joists and cables etc.

Does 1300-2000 seem reasonable for above?

Having some renovations done and am generally happy with the work and the costs. One thing I forgot about was the electrician costs (my own fault).

I have received a couple of quotes for the below that range from €1300-2000. I thought they were on the high side considering I am supplying all fixtures and fittings (except cabling), and nothing really needs and major wiring back to fuse board etc. The only thing really required is electrician to supply cabling and labour. Builder has already chased new locations into walls.

1. Wire and fit 16 downlights into ceilings
2. Wire and fit 1 electric bathroom fan (just replacing and old one that was there previously)
3. Relocate 4 sockets. Cable already there and powered- builder chased new locations already
4. Wire whirlpool bath into RCD socket (just needs to move this socket slightly)
5. Move one existing ceiling light 1 foot in different direction.
6. Move 2 light switches. 1 in new bathroom where stud wall is in place and cables for old bathroom lights easily moved. 1 in room that is totally stripped.

I would have thought maybe 2 days work?
No investigation required- I have a detailed knowledge of locations of all joists and cables etc.

Does 1300-2000 seem reasonable for above?
How many days work did the electrician say it would take?

Trades people are in high demand at the moment, so you have to factor in they are able to charge higher prices. Your alternative is not getting it done. It's not as if you have the option of doing it yourself.

Thanks for replies. Yes. 2 days work. I was just trying to see if it sounded about right in current environment or if I should continue looking.

It's very very pricey, (€600+ per day!) but then again, that may well the going asking rate in Dublin anyway. Plus, unless there's tricky access issues, and it doesn't really sound like it, it strikes me more like a one day job rather than a two day job.

Have you asked your builder for a steer? He'll be well used to getting such jobs done and will have a very accurate idea of what the going rate is. He will also know several electricians that he could recommend to you.

Last edited:
Back