electrical access in back garden

S

serotonin sid

I take possession of my house in august (they havent even started yet). I have plans for the back garden that would necessitate power being available.

Is there a standard manner in which they deal with this? If any of you have powered equipment eg. ground based lighting - and live in a development, how do they facilitate the likes...

is there a standard way/place they allow for cables to be run back into the house??

Get on contact with the electrical contractor of the house.

It is standard to ask for these things, they are at an extra cost of course.

Depending on what you want, for example garden lighting may only need low voltage through a transformer which is safe, but if for a lawnmower, you will need 230v and the need to install an extra RCD.

I take possession of my house in august (they havent even started yet)

I don't understand this? You're moving into a house that doesn't exist?

If there's no electricity supply available then presumably you need a generator?

Couldn't it exist before August?
For mains (230V) electricity supply outside you'll need to have armoured cable buried underground and use special sealed outlets for plugging into outside. The sooner you talk to the sparks the better, because he may need to consult the builder to have the cable brought into the house beside the fuse board.

huh? I'm working in advance here. Ive signed up for a house with a completion date of August 2005.

Ok so this is an extra then. I kinda hoped this would be something that all developments facilitate as standard.

the sooner you talk to the sparks the better, because he may need to consult the builder to have the cable brought into the house beside the fuse board.
So does this come up through the raft then? If so, I would need to get on to them right from the start so that they can allow for this?

My sparks told me, that when someone asks for say lighting in the shed, or a power point in the shed, it just gets run out from the wire under the sink that is generally used as the power poitn for the dishwasher as well.

Re: ..

huh? I'm working in advance here. Ive signed up for a house with a completion date of August 2005.

My mistake - sorry. :eek:

no problem clubman ;)

My sparks told me, that when someone asks for say lighting in the shed, or a power point in the shed, it just gets run out from the wire under the sink that is generally used as the power poitn for the dishwasher as well.
But do they allow for this normally. ie. is there a pipe from the utility/dishwasher area running to the outside??

Thats all thats needed really in order to future proof electrical needs in any back garden i would imagine.

But do they allow for this normally. ie. is there a pipe from the utility/dishwasher area running to the outside??
It sounds like a hole is just made through the wall to the outside, to facilitate running a cable??
What I'm thinking of is having a pipe run under the floor and up through the radon barrier towards the fuse board so that the armoured cable can be brought there in the future and connected to its own RCD.

There is the question of running the cable underneath the concrete path immediately out side the building, before it is poured

he told me, this was before second fitting, that all they would do if I wanted powe rin shed, was to drill through the kitchen wall, underneath level of path, before path was poured. Run armoured cable out from under sink area, under where path woul dbe poured and leave a big coil of it for me to cut a path through my garden so it could get to where I put my shed. The sparks himself said I would be crazy to get builder to do it. They charged min charge + something like 6 euro a metre for the length of cable. Would have cost 350 euro i think I worked it out to be. he said, just drill a hole low down, run it out myself later on. he said there would be no need for an extra RCB because I would only be using maybe 2 plugs and a 100W bulb in the shed. Not like I'd have me a cooker out there.

(24/11/04 2:52 pm)
Reply &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp New Post .. he told me, this was before second fitting, that all they would do if I wanted powe rin shed, was to drill through the kitchen wall, underneath level of path, before path was poured. Run armoured cable out from under sink area, under where path woul dbe poured and leave a big coil of it for me to cut a path through my garden so it could get to where I put my shed.
ok, so this is the most cost effective way to do it then.

Thanks for that folks.

I'm not a sparks, so not fully clued into the regs etc. so I do fully agree legend's method sounds very cost effective and easy to manage without involving builders etc. Just one point though, be sure to run 2.5sq cable out from the dishwasher socket. Any electrical wholesaler will sell lenghts of armoured cable to you. You don't need trade cards or any of that.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately yea, whatever you do, make sure its armoured. And make sure youwon't be powering, as i said already, a cooker, kettle and shower out in your shed!!!

Just a suggestion but if you could ask the builder/plummer to put in a piece of pipe 1" diameter or greater from under the worktop at floor level out past the concrete path then you can put in any cables you want when you move in ?
Roger

If you are going to do a DIY job, how are you going to get the cable under the path? Are you going to cut a channel in your brand new path and patch it up later?

"Just a suggestion but if you could ask the builder/plummer to put in a piece of pipe 1" diameter or greater from under the worktop at floor level out past the concrete path then you can put in any cables you want when you move in ?"

This seems a good idea, make sure they pur a draw wire in it as well!

I got power to my garage a few months ago, the electrician dropped exterior cables from the attic and ran them down the house along the garden wall and in through the roof of the garage.

Personally for me, there is an expansion gap in the path quite near to where the sink area is. I will be able to push the armoused cable down into this....

Which leads to a general question....should the expansion gaps in the path....and they are a solid inch, be filled for me?

If we all get together some weekend, with high vis vests and hard hats, we could all prop shovels and watch while one person does all the work. We might even be able to block some traffic and cause a few tailbacks. All we'd need is a few managers to volunteer their services to chair meetings. Who knows, the government might go into partnership with us.

Re: Female to do work

"prop shovels and watch while one person does all the work."

Which female will that be? ;)

Back