Electric Cars - a ridiculous product

Drove my first electric car yesterday and I have to say I was impressed with how it worked

Okay it took me a couple of minutes to work out that there is no start button, it's a hop in stick it in drive and press down on the accelerator
I've heard here and elsewhere about the acceleration and good god I don't think any of the high powered cars I've had in the past could match
but as I've also learnt accelerating and traveling fast is all good and dandy until you have to stop suddenly and I guessing that with the extra weight these cars have might result in increased damage or horrific accidents
But other then that I was very impressed with how it handled, the build quality (VW) and how it looked both inside and out

I'm not quite buying the argument that their a "ridiculous product" I think very much that they are in their infancy for the mass market much like cars were back in the seventies and eighties or how computers and their operating systems were in the eighties and nineties,
it's going to take a decade or two before they reach an optimized level
I feel for most people they are fairly close to that once they are not doing high milage on a daily or weekly basis and the idea that you need to do a military reconnaissance for any long journey over the range is just been pedantic, if your second cousin twice removed on your fathers side invites you to a wedding in ballygobackwards you've two choices either decline or just goggle where the charging points are and plan accordingly

But where I am very disappointed with the "electric car" is the story that came with the car from my friend
It's a 211 VW ID4 company car with 100K on the clock and she was thinking of taking it off the company with the view of upgrading it to a 232 or 241 but four VW dealers refused to take it as a trade-in simply stating the milage was to high, she happened to be down the country and tried a fifth dealer who surprisingly offered to take the trade but only offered her €16k against a new ID4
And for pig iron she asked what a trade in for her own car a 2019 2 litre Tiguan auto with 80k and was told €26K
She also informed me her boss is who bought the car with PCP is also now having a problem with the original VW dealer as he is refusing to even engage with him

So for me much that I liked the car I'll wait another few years before thinking about buying

The weight difference is roughly about 4 people between ID4 and Tiguan. Are cars with 4 or 5 passengers statistically much higher risk of damage or "horrific" accidents.

New Tiguan is 10k more expensive than the ID4. Also we are in the middle of a sales & price war/crash for the EVs and a unexpected sales increase for ICE especially diesel.

You probably wouldn't buy property in crashing market either. I certainly wouldn't be buying a premium EV in the middle of a price war. "tulip mania". However a used one might a good deal if bought cheap enough and it suits your use case. Won't suit everyone.

Back