Health Insurance Elderly Mum paying 2 Health Insurers by mistake

sadie

Hi, my elderly mum has early dementia. She was insured by VHI for many years. This year, we found her a similar but 1k cheaper policy with Laya. We assisted her to sign up with Laya, then rang VHI with our intention to cancel. They said she had to send them in a letter, that was the only way to cancel, and that they would refund any payment that had rolled over. This cancellation letter seems to never have arrived at VHI (the circumstances of the letter being sent by my Mum are sketchy). So both VHI and Laya direct debits have been paid since April. VHI sent a letter to say it's a 12 month contract and she has to keep paying it.
There is one small claim on the Laya insurance. What is our best option here?

You can cancel Vhi mid term but you'll have to pay a cancellation fee, based on the time left on the plan I'd estimate it to be €250 - €300

I'd contact VHI again; advising that your mother has dementia and says she wrote the letter. Send them proof of the new policy and ask for refund. I would also stop the DD immediately.

I would say that VHI will be so delighted to see an expensive elderly person leaving that they won't mind.

Brendan

Back