Elderly Immigrant Returning - Entitlements?

Lauren

An elderly family friend (Irish citizen) who has lived in the US for almost 40 years is considering returning to Ireland. Does anyone know of agencies/government bodies who can provide assistance or advice to her? I've done some research and have managed to get her a copy of the 'Returning to Ireland' publiciation which is a decent document but fairly general. Does anyone know of organisations who provide housing for people in such situations? This person would be a low income earner and would not have any assets as such. Although past retirement age she is still fit and prepared to work. She is a qualified nurse and has always worked in home care type situations. Any advice or links appreciated.

Here's a website that might be of interest http://www.emigrantadvice.ie/ There's a section about housing too. [broken link removed]

I also recommend calling into the local Citizens Information Centre for more advice.

Hope this helps

Thanks Dub Lady. Saw that one already. Looks like the main source of info. Wondered if there was anything I had missed.

The London Irish Centre http://www.irishcentre.org has a section about returning to Ireland, it may also be worth your while to contact the Irish Episcopal Commission for Emigrants who provide support for the irish abroad.

Lauren, find out what parish she left, and contact them to see if they can offer advice or housing. Some parishes have a few houses where they can house older people, but by the sound of it she might not qualify if she is still in the workplace. You mention retirement age , is that 66, or do they retire earlier in the states?

Swallows..she is 67 (from memory)...Good idea re parish...I'll try that one also..

I might also add, it may be worthwhile contacting the Housing Section of the local authority (County Council) in the area in which she intends to live. They can best advise in terms of housing options for older people.

If this lady has worked in the US, it is possible to transfer social insurance contributions from the US to Ireland (we have a bilateral social security agreement with them) so this may help her qualify for a pension here. Staff in your local social welfare office can advise - but I would suggest checking this in advance of returning to Ireland.

If she is in receipt of a pension from the US, it is also likely she may qualify for the . In addition, depending on her income, she may also qualify for a medical card or a GP Visit card. She will automatically qualify for a medical card once she reaches 70 years.

I might also suggest taking a look through the [broken link removed]. It explains the taxation system in Ireland and how income from abroad is treated for tax purposes here (among other items).

The age of this individual should not really be an impediment to her seeking employment here in Ireland if she so chooses - depending on the nature of the employment and the employer, of course. I would imagine however if she wishes she could obtain some work as a Home Help or a Carer - given her nursing qualifications she should have no problems.

It's also worth noting, there are issues regarding entitlement to health services in Ireland - but given she intends to return to Ireland and remain living here for at least a year or so, she should qualify for public health services on the same basis as everyone else.

I hope this has been of assistance.

Back