Eircom/Vodafone-lost share certs

millertime

One of the guys here at work still has the original shares from the flotation and gets the Vodafone dividends. He has lost the share certs. How best should he go about disposing of them and what is his net position at present?

Thanks

Re: Eircom/Vodafone shares

go to [broken link removed] for info.
I'm in the same boat and just found this.

Contact the registrar. They'll get him to complete a letter of indemnity stating that the share certs have been lost and charge an administration fee (c. €70 I think) to issue new certs.

Maybe he has not lost them but never had them. We bought through the bank and never received the certificates. Check to see how he bought his and if through the bank then he should talk to them.

True - perhaps the shares are held in a nominee account rather than in certificate form. Again the registrar should be able to help.

Any idea what his net position is after all this time? He thinks he bought £1000 worth

Thanks for the info, finally , how best should he go about selling the whole job lot? any brokers on here?

Should he also have Eircom shares now also? He only gets correspondance from Vodafone which says he has 188 shares (between him and his wife). From the thread above a portion of his share went to Valentia who subsequently brought it private and then went public? Is he missing something?

millertime said:
Thanks for the info, finally , how best should he go about selling the whole job lot? any brokers on here?
The Vodafone/Computershare low cost postal [broken link removed] for small shareholders would probably be the cheapest way to sell.
Should he also have Eircom shares now also?
He should have surrendered these in order to obtain the Valentia takeover payment when they took over the company and all shareholders were forced to sell up as a majority voted to accept the deal. If he didn't then he never received this payment. I'm not sure if he can still claim it now.

Thanks Clubman. He didn't receive anything from the Valentia but he did vote to accept the takeover. Is there anything he can do?? I'm glad I didn't have the cash get involved in this debacle!!

Even if he hadn't voted for the sale at the time he was still entitled to the Valentia payment. It's not a case of only those who voted for it getting the payment. I'm not sure if eircom shareholders who never claimed their Valentia payment can do so now. If they can then they will need their share certs or nominee account details at the very least. Perhaps eircom Investor Relations can help although didn't it go private after the Valentia takeover and then refloat subsequently so I'm not sure who such shareholders should deal with (Valentia or the current incarnation of eircom...)? :confused:

Thanks Clubman.....Eircom put him onto Compushare who are sending him out acceptance forms for the eircom payment.

You mean the Valentia payment I presume? Good stuff. I wasn't sure if people who never claimed this had missed the boat altogether. Note that to claim this he will have to surrender his share certificates or nominee account. If he has mislaid the certs then he will probably have to fill in a letter of indemnity stating this and pay an administration fee (c. GBP£40 or more I think).

Apologies .....Valentia, by some miracle of random filing ( everything in a drawer) he found the original share certs. Will let you know how he gets on etc..

An update here, my colleague got the form to claim the Valentia monies which are being held in trust by Eircom.

Anyone have an idea how much Eircom is holding in trust for these former shareholders? I checked the last quarterly report in eircom investor relations but the figure doesn't seem to be disclosed. My guess is that Eircom are sitting on a serious pile of cash. Is there any kind of limitation for the claim????

Well, according to from April 2002:
=============
I R E L A N D
=============

EIRCOM PLC: Stakeholders File EUR50 Million in Cash Claims
----------------------------------------------------------

Almost 70,000 Eircom shareholders have EUR50 million in claims as
a result of the company's takeover of the Valentia consortium
group in November, the Sunday Times reports.

About 12% of the 574,082 Eircom equity-holders have yet to file
claims from Valentia.

Instead of automatically paying stakeholders for their shares,
the group required shareholders to request their cash settlement.

Valentia, which has the unclaimed money, will charge shareholders
EUR10 to cover administration costs if they do not apply for
their settlements by April 23, Bobby Hassett of NCB Stockbrokers
said.

Eircom announced to its shareholders in December to send in their
share certificates. About 20,000 investors responded. The company
sent another reminder in February, after a further 10,000 holders
have applied for their claim.

To claim, shareholders may contact Computershare Investor
Services at telephone no. 01-216 3100.

Probably lots of people still moaning about the so called "eircom rip-off" haven't even claimed the money that's due to them and that would mitigate their losses. :rolleyes:

Sorry to be harping on about this but what is the best way to dispose of holdings of less than 100 Vodafone shares (originally received via Eircom)?

Back