Eir annual price increases issue

fungie20

While looking at my latest Eir bill, I noticed they've added an annual price increase of CPI rate + 3%, graciously capped at 8%. Setting aside that a Telco's cost increases may not mimic CPI , I take issue in the manner this increase is being applied.

My monthly bill is increasing from €44.97 to €52.48, a 16.7% difference. They applied a 7.7% increase on their "standard monthly price" but the subsequent discounts are in absolute value, rather than a percentage of the standard monthly price, leading to the 16.7% increase, rather than 7.7%. I find this a rather underhand tactic. The advertised price for the product was €45 per month for a year, any price increase should be relative to this figure.

I'm sure they're technically covered here, just seems like a sneaky tactic.

You could move to a different provider?

It's not exactly sneaky - their price increase was announced publicly some months ago, and the discounts have always been quoted as € 10, or whatever, off per month

They did but my bill increased a lot more than 8%.
Which is in line with this? Bold emphasis is mine.
You will also see an annual increase in your monthly price plan (excluding any discounts) each April from April 2024, based on the annual Consumer Price Index (CPI) plus 3%.

I hate everyrhing about Eir.

I moved to 48 and am a very happy customer paying 7.99 per mnth.

Which is in line with this? Bold emphasis is mine.
My point is that this is disingenuous. The price agreed is the price agreed. For example, their standard price could be 1000 eur per month but offer a 90% discount, the advertised price will be as 100 per month. Any increase should be in line with contract price. In reality it's 17% increase.

My point is that this is disingenuous. The price agreed is the price agreed. For example, their standard price could be 1000 eur per month but offer a 90% discount, the advertised price will be as 100 per month. Any increase should be in line with contract price. In reality it's 17% increase.
I don't see the confusion. The "excluding discounts" bit surely explains it?

There's no confusion, I understand. My point is, this shouldn't be allowed.
It shouldn't be allowed that service providers increase charges in line with their clearly stated policy? Good luck complaining to ComReg on that front.

There's no confusion, I understand. My point is, this shouldn't be allowed.
I would agree, when I read it first I thought this smacked of something like the "only upward rent review contracts" of yester year.
I'm with Vodafone who I think have the same clause but was able to negotiate a fixed rate of €30pm for 12 months with them at the beginning of March so it is possible to bypass this clause

It is always open to customers to negotiate the price of the service.

Threatening to leave your current provider often gets them to improve their offer in your favour

On the argument about "sneaky" pricing, maybe we should outlaw all offers such as buy 3, pay for 2, 12 months for the price of 10 and the multitude other pricing options designed by malevolent suppliers to get us to buy more at a higher price ...

I hate everyrhing about Eir.

I moved to 48 and am a very happy customer paying 7.99 per mnth.
48 is good, and will serve most peoples needs, i was with them for about 5 years.
Many have not heard of them, as they don’t generally don’t appear on switcher websites. I switched onto Gomo, €9.99 per month, about 3 years ago, fixed price “forever”, and unlimited calls, texts & data. Find the coverage a little better than 48
Generous 14gb data in EU also. We have 3 on this package in our house. Son was in Spain for a full college term, he uses a lot of data, as they all do, the bill never exceeded €9.99 per month while he was there.

Back