EGR Valve problem

Capaill

Hi Folks

Hoping someone can help out here. I have a 01 VW Bora. Recently a warning light appeared on the dash indicating a problem with the car's emission system and advising to bring it to a VW dealer ASAP. I done this and they ran a test which showed the EGR valve needed to be replaced. This cost over €300 with parts and labout. Two days after the job the warning light is back on again.

I have just dropped the car back into the same dealer for them to check out what the issue is.

Can anyone advise me as to
(a) what rights do I have in this situation? I presume that as they tested the car, found and rectified the problem and now the problem is back that I should get this done for free?
(b) What exactly is an EGR Valve and how important is it to the car? I tried a google search but it showed results for a Ford diesel car and not a VW Bora.

Any advise most welcome.

Thanks

C

it might make some diff to your fuel economy (probably not 300euro worth) and thats about it. when the car gets ncd'd, unlike with petrol engines, they can only check diesel engines via a "smoke test" which most pass unless they are spewing out an obviously high amount of black/blue smoke.

Thanks for the reply Eamonn.

Garage checked out the valve they replaced and said it was o.k. but that the previous faulty valve had caused a build up of carbon in the pipe which was causing the warning light to still come on. Everything appears to be working o.k. now.

C

Back