EBS desposit accounts

zat29

A few years ago I was recommended to open an EBS account and save with them just in case they go public like first active did and customers get some kind of lump sum or cash benefit - is this still the case? I currently get a paltry amount of interest on this account and i am considering withdrawing all cash and putting it somewhere more useful?
Any thoughts? Am I waiting in vain?

Why not [broken link removed] paying 3.25% gross CAR on amounts of €1,000 or more? This is the best rate on offer at the moment for demand deposits (with €1K minimum limit) but RaboDirect, AIB, Anglo Irish Bank and now [broken link removed] are also competing in this area.

Don't close off the EBS account. Leave at least E130 there.

In order to qualify for free shares you had to have at 100 punts in your account in order to qualify for the windfall in previous building society flotations (which will inevitably, eventually, happen here, I hope!)

Anyway the worst that can happen is that you continue to get a tiny interest rate on the E130 while the amount you stand to gain is massive in comparison.

Murt

Murt10, how do you know if €130 is sufficient to leave in the account?? most previous floatations were some time ago, that figure could have gone up.
also - does anybody remember how much the building societies dished out??

€130 in the right account (a share/investment account - make sure that the account is of this type!) is enough to guarantee membership of teh EBS. There is no automatic guarantee of qualification for any eventual DM windfall since the rules would be drawn up at that stage. Don't forget that EBS has no plans to demutualise.

zat29 said:
A few years ago I was recommended to open an EBS account and save with them just in case they go public like first active did and customers get some kind of lump sum or cash benefit - is this still the case? I currently get a paltry amount of interest on this account and i am considering withdrawing all cash and putting it somewhere more useful?
Any thoughts? Am I waiting in vain?

What do you mean by "go public" zat29? Aren't they both (FA/EBS) public anyway?

Mimi

mimi rogers said:
What do you mean by "go public" zat29? Aren't they both (FA/EBS) public anyway?

Mimi
First Active are a plc owned by the shareholders. EBS are a mutual building society owned by the members. The reference to going public is to ESB demutualising (i.e. dropping their mutual status) and becoming a plc that issues shares which can be bought by anybody. As things stand the only people with a say in the running of the EBS are the board and the members. There are no shareholders as such.

Back