EBS 9 month fixed term account 3.5%

Hi guys,
Could I get some clarification about the EBS account re. post above, Is it possible for existing account holder to lodge 40 grand to open one of these accounts?
I thought I read somewhere that INBS were going to match the interest rate offered by EBS? Whats involved if I am right in restating this?
N.D.,
Fi.

Last edited:
My understanding is that this rate is for "new" customers. I have €20k with EBS but they said that if I add another €20k to it they will give me 3.5% on the whole amount. Otherwise others have suggested that you withdraw your money from EBS, then go back in a few days later with it as a "new" customer. But you only have till Friday to open one of these accounts.

Quote from EBS head office which clarifiys that the rate of 3.5% is not given on the original sum invested afer 9 months.

"If you invested €100,000 in the 9 month account the return would be €1,968
approximately. After the 9 months the interest will be credited to the
account. Please note this rate finishes on Saturday 27 February".

It turns out that when you do the calculations you are getting a rate of approximately 2.6% interest for the 9 month term before DIRT is deducted.

The rate of 3.52% is the AER(annual equivalent rate) only.
Hope this helps clarify the real situation out there.

Agreed........ BUT an AER of 3.52% is among the best buys at the moment.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the follow up. I don't really understand the AER* & its equivalent term, I tend to follow what ye talk about/ suggest. I was going to see if I could apply for this 9mth account but now I am not too sure even if its worth it. Would I not be better with Investec/ Nationwide Ireland (waiting to see what the government bond is offering). Of the above which is offering the best AER?

N.D.,
Fi
*I think AER means the actual rate of interest you get

I don't quite understand Hopalong's post. If you invest the proceeds of your 9 month deposit, for a further 3 months at 3.5% ( hypothetical, but may exist in Nov) the interest over the 12 months is 3.52%, as EBS claims. It's up to you what to do with the money in those final 3 months.
If the interest over 9 months was 3.5% gross, the AER would end up around 4.52%.

AER is not the rate that you get. AER is the gross annualised rate before DIRT.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_equivalent_rate

hey all... rang EBS there and was told this is being extended until next friday

Thanks for the information Johnm.

I will wait until EBS confirm the extension before updating the best buys.

hey all... rang EBS there and was told this is being extended until next friday

I just got confirmation from EBS that the rate is extended until Saturday March 6th 2010.

Thanks for the information, the best buys are updated