Ebay/Paypal

senara

Considering buying Eur 2000 of goods in UK and paying by credit card(Mastercard) through Paypal.

What will I and/or seller be charged for transaction?

On past experience, I'd say you:nothing, seller:3.5% (plus FX commission)

For that kind of sum, I'd suggest you get together and work out a deal. It would probably be cheaper for you to buy a STG draft and post it over by registered mail.

I presume that given the sum of money involved, you are very comfortable that the seller is trustworthy.

You would need to be very careful buying off ebay. I purchased 4 items and only received 2 of them. All the sellers had good previous records so if i was you i would not spend 2000 euro on ebay

gg

Just speculation on my part-if you pay by cc (certain cc providers anyway) are you insured against fraud? (I'm open to correction on this).

RainyDay and gordangekko (cool name btw) make good points above. Would you not be better doing a face-to-face? A flight/ferry to the UK would not add a hell of a lot to the transaction costs.

Good point, only thought of it after RainyDay and gordongekko had already made it. PayPal Buyer Protection provides coverage up to £500.00, but that's clearly not enough for your purposes here. Dunno whether your CC provider offers any better, in addition...

Hi ccovich I use this user name on a lot of financial web sites but you are the only one to notice it. I think its a great name as well.

gg

gordongekko said:
Hi ccovich I use this user name on a lot of financial web sites but you are the only one to notice it. I think its a great name as well.

gg

No bother. What other financial websites are you talking about?

I have purchased over 20 items from ebay and trust me the fabulous "buyer protection" isn't worth the web page it appears on..

I was ripped off by a guy in the uk a while ago. (never sent the goods) and when I started the process of using the buyer protection.. I first had to phone the paypal (as paypal & ebay are one and the same company) help line.. After 10 minutes on hold (to the US!!!) I was told that if the seller did not respond to ebay/paypal's requests to refund me, then they would refund me using the funds in that members account. When I 'suggested' that maybe the seller may have removed all funds from the account and could they bill my refund to the sellers credit card they told me.. that they could not take any funds without authorisation from the seller... What a load of cr$p..

In saying that it hasn't put me off buying ebay.. but I would be wary of large amount transactions...

dudeman

Oooops.. forgot what my point was...

After my call to paypal .. I phoned Bank Of Ireland credit card services.. they didnt seem interested until I mentioned that I had not received the goods... I was immediately put through to a customer service agent who told me to detail all contact with ebay/paypal and they would get me a refund :)

In the end paypal actually refunded me so I didn't have to pursue the BOI route but it was nice to know it existed. :-D

Back