Eave of extension protrudes over neighbour's garage.

tvman

I am in the process of buying a house in Limerick. I have paid a booking deposit deposit and contracts are in the process of being issued. I spent a long time looking for house I wanted so very keen that this not fall through. The house was extended (I think this was 20+ years ago) and the eave of the side extension extends over the neighbour's flat roofed garage by approx 20/30 cm.

My main concern is that my solicitor will not be willing to certify good title to the property and the bank (BOI) will be unwilling to lend on that basis. On the other hand I've noticed the same issue in lots of other houses since it arose and on that basis surely it doesn't make a house unmortgageable? A second concern is that presumably they did not get planning permission to build over the neighbour's property so the extension may have been built without/at variance with planning.

Has anyone come across this issue from this angle? (Several threads in forum deal with same issue but from the other side i.e. neighbours extension protrudes into their property).

Last edited:
Vendor action required. Supply documents showing compliance with planning regs or apply for retention before sale. Solicitor is unlikely to proceed without one or the other.

Thanks Mathepac - that makes sense from a planning perspective. Any thoughts on the title issue?