Easing of restrictions from April 12th

Vietnam the police State and Isle of Man the tiny island that doesn't share a land border with another country?

An excuse for every country!
Keep digging, keep digging.... you’ll end up in New Zealand yourself eventually.

@Purple, there are none so blind as those who are to ignorant to see.

Go enjoy your day @Purple. It is April 1st after all :p

Y’know @Purple, when you’re in a hole you should stop digging .
On that we agree. The whole Zero Covid thing has been dismissed by the Government and State institutions. We don't have the location. We don't have the compliant population. We have a grossly inefficient health service so contact tracing etc doesn't work to the required level. We have a small and inept police force. We have no Army worth talking about. One of us is in a hole here and it aint me.

Last edited:
An excuse for every country!
Keep digging, keep digging.... you’ll end up in New Zealand yourself eventually.

@Purple, there are none so blind as those who are to ignorant to see.

Go enjoy your day @Purple. It is April 1st after all :p

So why don't we go with Zero Covid?
What is the Government and every State agency against it? Why has the Chief Medical Officer and the Deputy Chief Medical Officer dismissed the notion out of hand?
What gem of wisdom have you got that they have missed?
What's the conspiracy here? G'wan, I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next person.

Yes it is. How about Isle of Man?
And Vietnam?

Y’know @Purple, when you’re in a hole you should stop digging.
The Isle of Man came out of Lockdown on February 2nd , cases went up and they reentered Lockdown at the start of March. It was widely reported.

If you look at the area of South East Asia with millions of people and then look at reported cases it seems implausible that those figures are accurate...... Cambodia,Vietnam, have about 2500 total cases, Laos 49 , Malaysia 346000..

Malaysia being a fairly modern country with proper reporting capabilities.

The Zero Covid countries will vaccinate their entire populations later. NewZealand has already begun vaccinating.
Then they’ll be in the same boat as everyone else.

Except they’ll have none of the negative effects of national yo-yo lockdown, they’ll have a greater choice of vaccines to choose from, arguably vaccines that have been designed with B117, P1, etc as targets as well as the parent strain, and they’ll cost less too.
Oh, and in the case of NZ, a body count of 26.

BTW, Zero Covid means zero tolerance to Covid.
Zero Covid does not mean Zero Vaccine.
A complete closure of the borders will be challenged rightly in court up to the European Court. Also it will lead to a further accelerated Exodus of many many foreigners. I would also definitely relocate. How long would the border then be closed ? A year? Longer? Some Companies would then be forced to relocate positions as well.

On the plus side it would help with the housing crisis ;)

Zero Covid is a wet dream of a few - very unlikely to be implemented and will be very quickly challenged. It completely ignores geography, political environment, economic integration and population structures.

The Isle of Man came out of Lockdown on February 2nd , cases went up and they reentered Lockdown at the start of March. It was widely reported.

If you look at the area of South East Asia with millions of people and then look at reported cases it seems implausible that those figures are accurate...... Cambodia,Vietnam, have about 2500 total cases, Laos 49 , Malaysia 346000..

Malaysia being a fairly modern country with proper reporting capabilities.
Very good point - if you do not test you obviously do not find Covid cases...
Chinas numbers are fabricated as well....

Given that new evidence shows that 0.1%, or one in one thousand, cases of Covid are traced to outdoor contact can we stop harassing people drinking outside pubs, let sports teams train, let people meet up outdoors and generally dial back the irrational fear?

What level will Ireland be in from April 12th? Level 4 is it?

I see Fintan O’Toole an article about he success of Asian countries like VietNam in address the Coronavirus. Long story short, they just did what they did for SARS and MERS. Simoles.

Meanwhile as New Zealand are rolling out their vaccines they’re opening up international travel. Starting with Australia.

What level will Ireland be in from April 12th? Level 4 is it?

I see Fintan O’Toole an article about he success of Asian countries like VietNam in address the Coronavirus. Long story short, they just did what they did for SARS and MERS. Simoles.

Meanwhile as New Zealand are rolling out their vaccines they’re opening up international travel. Starting with Australia.
It seems that there is no topic which Fintan does not deem himself qualifies to pontificate on. Vietnam is a nominally communist police state which closed its borders for months. We've been around this track a few times now. I really thought the Zero Covid fantasists has realised how silly the notion is.

How is it silly if it is working?
It’s too late for Ireland, no one is arguing that (I’m not anyway).
The only people in zero Covid counties that aren’t benefiting are the undertakers.

I really thought the Zero Covid fantasists has realised how silly the notion is.
Why is zero covid a fantasy? We were 100 years rabies-free in this country until some eejit smuggled in an infected animal last year and destroyed our record. How many cases of smallpox, leprosy, polio, plague (black death) have we had in this country in the last couple of decades? If we aim for the stars there's a chance we'll get there, aim lower and I guarantee we won't.

I was talking to a neighbour of mine yesterday. Her previously wayward son moved to New Zealand 18 months ago. It’s been the making of him, first time he’s been financially independent. Saved up to buy a camper van and spent the last few months travelling around the country. Is attending a music festival this weekend.

I’m not sure what the quality of homegrown Kiwi bands is though.

How many cases of smallpox, leprosy, polio, plague (black death)
Smallpox no longer exists outside laboratories. Polio is also nearly gone (thanks to a large extent to Bill Gates), leprosy is easily treated and most people who are infected with the virus don’t develop the disease. The Black Death (pneumonic plague) is fast acting and so easier to contain. It’s also 98% confined to Africa.

Covid19 is contagious during a relatively long period where the patient is asymptotic. We share a land border with another country and are a very open economy.
if we want to have any sort of economy when this is over we can’t close the country. We also have a small police force, a small army and a culture of ignoring rules. We do have a very well funded Health Service but unfortunately it is extremely badly run and so is unable to do the necessary levels of contact tracing. Basically we lack the organisational competence within our public sector and the attitudinal compliance within our general population to pull it off, even if we were willing to wreck the economy trying.

Thankfully I live in a large county and it is my intention to visit many parts of it over the next month. Not ideal of course that many establishments are closed and i've no doubt that people living in popular areas for tourists would rather not see people taking over their area for picnics, swimming, touring, etc. My wife and myself will keep a low profile, probably bring a flask, a bite to eat and our runners. If there's places we can spend a few bob and need what's on offer we'll gladly oblige. To me the biggest winners in this in a commercial sense will be garage forecourts/shops and good luck to them. It'll be great to go for a spin in fairness, not only for ourselves but the car as well.

Last edited:
Note that as part of the changes from 12th April, you do not need a 'reasonable excuse' if you are within your own county or 20kms of residence.
This now only applies if you are travelling beyong these limits.

Back