Easing of restrictions from April 12th

My understanding is that using an age rather than occupational criteria though it may be a blunt instrument, means a faster vaccine rollout for everyone.

It is of course, contingent on vaccine supply.

The UK and I think most of the US states are using the same criteria and case numbers, deaths and hospitalizations there have fallen dramatically.

My understanding is that using an age rather than occupational criteria though it may be a blunt instrument, means a faster vaccine rollout for everyone.

It is of course, contingent on vaccine supply.

The UK and I think most of the US states are using the same criteria and case numbers, deaths and hospitalizations there have fallen dramatically.
Yep, given that we have no national health database and no national identity card system the old rollout criteria were a disaster waiting to happen. This is much better.
If you are a young teacher then you are very unlikely to get sick if you get it. If you live with older relatives they are now going to get vaccinated sooner. Where's the downside? Is the disgruntlement from some of the representative groups down to a perceived "lack of respect"? Would the Unions like the rest of us to give them another round of applause?

Young people are far less likely to end up in hospital. Therefore if keeping hospitalisation rates down is a key metric then let young people go about their business once the oldies have been jabbed.
Fair point and I agree with you, I misinterpreted your earlier statement when you said it seemed crazy that older vaccinated people should be allowed get back to normal but what you are saying is that it is crazy not to let everyone get back to normal once they are vaccinated.

In this era of spin doctors , media handlers , fondlers and advisors WHY is information ALWAYS released / leaked before the Taoiseach makes his official speech to the nation . He is telling us nothing that hasnt already been announced. :rolleyes:
There is obviously some reason for this .
Can anyone explain.
Genuine question. I dont have an issue with the actual information. !
It's kite flying. If something leaked ends up being particularly badly received by the public/media/"opinion leaders" it will be changed before the official announcement. It's a reflection of cowardice basically, especially since many of the same officials who leak then go on complaining about leaks.

Fair point and I agree with you, I misinterpreted your earlier statement when you said it seemed crazy that older vaccinated people should be allowed get back to normal but what you are saying is that it is crazy not to let everyone get back to normal once they are vaccinated.
I'm saying that if older people are vaccinated then everyone should be allowed to go back to normal as younger people are at a very low risk of serious illness or hospitalisation.

It's kite flying. If something leaked ends up being particularly badly received by the public/media/"opinion leaders" it will be changed before the official announcement. It's a form of cowardice basically.
Bowing to the opinion writers in the Irish Times and the Twits Twitting on Twitter.

Childish comments from RTE presenter this morning when interviewing the Minister for Finance not withstanding this is the right decision.

Children's shoes retailers added to essential retail list

I have to say that while I can understand the Governments frustrations as every business comes out with saying some element is essential, I thought the Government handling of this issue was dreadful over the 24 hours. We had Leo and Pascal coming out saying buy them online ignoring the fact that a) Children's feet need to be measured and b) People might not be able to afford to buy online and then wait for a refund when returning the shoes before buying again. And that is ignoring children with special requirements. I then heard Pascal say that some shoe shops are offering appointments like that is a good thing despite the fact that is against the requirements and every business would like to open on an appointment basis but they are not allowed even open on click and collect basis.

I know it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things but it these small things that become big things if politicians don't pay proper respect to the issues raised. And these issues were raised by medical professionals. They reacted quickly in the end but I have to say whatever highly paid advisors the Government have at their disposal these days are not doing a great job when it comes to communication.

And these issues were raised by medical professionals.
I don't think you need to be a doctor, or any other sort of a professional, to know that small children need their feet measured for new shoes.
This government has got much better (or is that much less bad) at communicating with the public but they still seem to be unable to speak with a single rational voice. For two centre left parties with so much in common (and the small rump of the Greens who want to live in the real world) it's amazing that they can't get their act together.

So GAA inter-county teams are allowed to return to training on the 19th of April but individual sports like golf where there is no interaction has to wait another week ? From my point of view another senseless arbitrary rule.

How is it arbitrary? Professional sports have been on-going. Certain amateur sports played to a professional level, eg, GAA, were permitted during Lockdown Two but not during Lockdown Three.

Daddy going for a round of golf while Mammy plays tennis and junior plays tiddly-winks is hardly on a par (npi).

How is it arbitrary? Professional sports have been on-going. Certain amateur sports played to a professional level, eg, GAA, were permitted during Lockdown Two but not during Lockdown Three.

Daddy going for a round of golf while Mammy plays tennis and junior plays tiddly-winks is hardly on a par (npi).
The Professional sports people within a particular squad are part of a single bubble. Amateur sports people have day jobs and so can't form a squad based bubble. That's why the women's 6 nations was postponed but the men's one went ahead.

And the GAA is essential how exactly?

Last edited:
The Professional sports people within a particular squad are part of a single bubble.

You make a very good point but the ROI soccer bubble had numerous Covid outbreaks. Pity they didn’t have more. Their performance was abysmal.

I don’t think I said it was essential? I don’t think Six Nations rugby is essential, not us being beaten by Luxembourg in soccer.
That's here the arbitrary part - "professional sport" is declared simply as "essential" and allowed to continue.

Back