Early retirement and social welfare

He wont have to serve 9 week disqualification if he takes early retirement. You are correct in saying it would be best for him to wait until he is 64 yrs and 3 months before he applies for jsb....he would need to err on the side of caution here and be very accurate about his date of his application so that he is still in payment of jsb on his 65th birthday.

Activation is where jobseekers are directed towards training or education with a view to getting the jobseeker back into the workforce. Failure to engage in activation can result in reduced payment.

Amazing really when you consider that we're all constantly being told we should work later in life, and they are all over the world trying to increase the retirement age.

He wont have to serve 9 week disqualification if he takes early retirement. You are correct in saying it would be best for him to wait until he is 64 yrs and 3 months before he applies for jsb....he would need to err on the side of caution here and be very accurate about his date of his application so that he is still in payment of jsb on his 65th birthday.
Hi Eastbono....I thought if you left your job of your own accord that you are disqualified from JSB for 9 weeks...or is this rule relaxed if you are over 62 years of age..??

Amazing really when you consider that we're all constantly being told we should work later in life, and they are all over the world trying to increase the retirement age.
The older jobseeker can engage in activation if they wish, but they won't be forced into it or penalised if they don't.

Hi Eastbono....I thought if you left your job of your own accord that you are disqualified from JSB for 9 weeks...or is this rule relaxed if you are over 62 years of age..??

If you take early retirement or redundancy(unless the redundancy package is >€50,000 and you are < 55 years of age) a disqualification period is very seldom imposed.

On the other hand leaving a job of your own accord....e.g. just walking out of a job or being fired for gross misconduct can result in a disqualification of up to 9 weeks.

If you take early retirement or redundancy(unless the redundancy package is >€50,000 and you are < 55 years of age) a disqualification period is very seldom imposed.

On the other hand leaving a job of your own accord....e.g. just walking out of a job or being fired for gross misconduct can result in a disqualification of up to 9 weeks.

Would you know if the 9 weeks disqualification would apply to someone leaving a job...aged 64 because they want to move back to their own home. They have been working north of the border for 4 years to stay in employment and paying high rent there each month. It's becoming too difficult to maintain two homes..

Would you know if the 9 weeks disqualification would apply to someone leaving a job...aged 64 because they want to move back to their own home. They have been working north of the border for 4 years to stay in employment and paying high rent there each month. It's becoming too difficult to maintain two homes..

It shouldnt as its a different jurisdiction. They would be classed as returned emigrant and would be applying for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment that is assuming the person is paying contribution in the UK and is not a cross border worker....from what you say they have been living there for the past 4 years so not cross border worker.... they will also have to fill out a habitual residence form as they have been out of the country for a considerable period of time (I know its only the North but this will still apply).

It shouldnt as its a different jurisdiction. They would be classed as returned emigrant and would be applying for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment that is assuming the person is paying contribution in the UK and is not a cross border worker....from what you say they have been living there for the past 4 years so not cross border worker.... they will also have to fill out a habitual residence form as they have been out of the country for a considerable period of time (I know its only the North but this will still apply).
Yes he is a cross border worker and travels home every weekend so he has not lost his habitual residence. He is entitled to claim JSB under cross border legislation while he is looking for work in the south. My query was more to do with the 9 week disqualification period when someone leaves their job due to no longer being able to afford to keep two homes running compared to someone who decides to retire but seemingly does not lose out on the initial 9 weeks JSB.

Tbh I couldnt answer that question. It would depend on the deciding officer awarding his claim. He should call into his local sw office and see what they would say. As I dont live or work in a border area I couldnt say how this would pan out.

new legislation for easing into retirement

No, from the 1st January 2014:

"The Department of Social Protection is putting new administrative provisions in place to ease the transition from the labour force into retirement. From 1 January 2014, if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance and are aged 62 or over, the following will apply:

You will no longer be required to engage with the activation process and you will not be subject to penalty rates for non-engagement
You can voluntarily avail of a range of supports (for example, training or employment support programmes) from the Department of Social Protection"

does this mean i can retire now at the age of 62 and claim this, as i am having difficulty doing the job i am doing i have been on illness benefit for the past 8 months, also would i have to wait the 9 weeks before i would get any benefit

You still need to be available for work, even if you are not channeled towards activation because of your age.

Back