Eamonn Dunphy ..this am on NewsTalk106..excellent!

A

ajapale

Did any one catch Eamo on Newstalk 106 this am.?

It was really excellent. His tackling of Gerard Colleran of the Star on the issue of press responsibilty and crime reporting was rivetting. And his interview of Bertie Ahern, while soft focus, was very professional.

I dont get to hear NT106 very often. I wonder if there are any plans to franchise it to other local radio staions?

ajapale

Agree on his interview with Colleran. It was top class and you wouldnt get it anywhere else. Unfortunately i had to leave it half way through. When Dunphy is good he's very very good but when he's bad.......

Re: ...

I thought he needed to extract his tongue from Bertie's rear. Soft focus is understatement of the year - Dummy was just short of raising Bertie on his shoulders and calling for us to bow down in front of the Messiah. I did enjoy his session with Colleran, though it was a little inwardly-focussed on the meeja world, rather than the real world.

re. N106

Rather than franchise to local areas, I believe they will apply for a national licence if the BCI go that way.

Re: re. N106

The Bertie piece should have had angels singing softly in the background....had to change over for Michael D's. Agree earlier piece was excellent.......

I caught the end of the Bertie interview and Dunphy got plenty of stick via text over the nature of the interview. His response was that they were competing with RTE for the interview of Bertie. They had little room for manouver on the ground rules for the interview, no questions on Shannon, Iraq, UN commitments etc. were allowed. They could take it or leave it go to RTE.

Interesting acknowledgement of the manipulation of the media by politicians.

Nogser

They could take it or leave it go to RTE.
Well in that case I forgive Dunphy! And I sincerely hope Newstalk get nationwide coverage soon. It makes for a great alternative in the mornings, especially compared to Dunse Dempsey. Having said that, Dunphy's chat with Gift Grub sketches for humour would be a real hit IMHO.

Sunny,

You just long for those golden days when Navan Man did his thing.

And why not ? dont we all ( unless you live in Meath )

Re: .

You just long for those golden days when Navan Man did his thing.
Too right elderdog! Those were the days. That was how I actually started listening to Dunphy. He was the penance I did each evening for a bit of Navanman. But slowly, I started to pay attention to some of Dunphy's interviews, and despite myself, started to learn a bit, and grew to admire him alot. I was really p***ed though when Navanman left. I have to say that Gift Grub is sometimes just as good, but Dempsey is much harder penance!

My complaint about Dummy would not just be about the content areas he ignored (e.g. Iraq) - his whole manner was quite toadying.

his whole manner was quite toadying.
I have to agree rainy, he gave Bertie an even easier time than Pat rabbit got on RTE the other morning. The ultimate tongue down the back to the trousers interview was any ne of the ones he ever did with Charlie McCreevey; no attempt at balance and no sign of a hard question.
RTE give Labour, and to a lesser extent FG, people an easy ride with FF second only to SF on the "people we hate" list but they are a lot more balanced than Dumphy.
Having said that I like to listen to him, he is always interesting.

Back