Eamon Dunphy and his views on the Olympics

W

WizardDr

I wonder did anybody see the piece under the byline of the above as to why he would not be watching nor supporting the Olympics.

Apparently the widespread use of performance enhancong drugs he feels is destroying the whole olpypic ideal.

With the public admission(s) of this guy about his own use of 'recereational drugs', I wonder does the use of cocaine assist his own 'performance' and if it does, should he not fall on his sword regardless?

Or will we as a nation, continue to pay homage to a self confessed illegal drug user who ended up being removed by the British shareholders (that a Godless country) and yet we continue to tolerate this and see this guy now being courted to new radio programme?

Does anybody care?

Does anybody care?

I certainly don't care. I don't know who most of these 'celebrities' are, I might recognise Gay Burn (he's the bloke with the smug grin) but that's about it.

Who cares what these people think.

As for drugs in olympics, well they might as well allow them at this stage. Most competitors are probably using them anyway.

Re: .

What the rules regarding professional/amatuer status at the Olympics? Are some professionals barred (soccer, basketball) while other professionals (tennis, athletics) are welcomed?

Not sure about all sports but I presumed that professionals were allowed since circa '92. The pros play basketball since then anyway.

I think soccer is restricted to U-21's (but maybe with a couple of others over 21, I'm unsure). My own theory on it is that if all soccer pros went to the Olympics it would overshadow alot of the other sports as it would effectively be another World Cup.

Here's the answer, I wasn't too far off!

[broken link removed]

As far as I know Boxing is the only sport in the Olympics where you have to be of amateur status to compete.

am open to correction on this of course

crikey

I asked about Dunphys drug use .. what are you folk on?

It takes one to know one

To be fair to Eamon, he was practically libellous in his insinuations about Michelle Brown's sudden surhe in form before she was found out.

I think a lot of people like Dunphy full stop. I'm a fan of his (sometimes) and enjoy his irreverant voice on occasion.

I don't really think you can really equate athletes taking performance enhancing drugs with Dunphy's admiited occasional drug habit to be honest.
I didn't see/hear his statement but it's only his opinion, and to be honest I think he is only mirroring what a lot of people think about the Olympics these days anyway.

I'm quite anti-drugs myself, having seen the devastating effect they've had on past friends, but it's his choice if he wants to take them, just as it's his choice to turn up for work pissed (of sorry...tired) sometimes. It's RTE's choice to keep employing him too...and they do. I think that should tell you something about the popularity of the man.

i wouldn't be dumphy's greatest fan as i have experienced him behaving obnoxiously on more than one occasion while out at night. however he can be ocassionaly entertaining on the radio.

however it generally would not colour my opinion of someone to know that they have used illegal drugs. i feel that the laws which make the consumption of a subset of recreational drugs illegal constitute an unjustified invasion of privacy and an attack on personal freedom along the same lines as laws against the use of contraceptives or laws against homosexuality.

nor do i believe there is anything intrinsically evil about performance enhancing drugs but their use is expressly forbidden and so constitutes cheating. cheating is obviously immoral.

Back