dvd drive

D

dollyclare

I wanted to backup some written data from my pc.My floppy is full so I tried inserting a dvd-r into my dvd(drive d).Didn't work.Is this drive only for playing dvds.If so ,what can I backup onto(I know I can use cd-r for music).Also what drive is dvd-r usable in.
Thanks

It sounds like you have a DVD-ROM drive which is just for reading DVDs (Movie DVDs, Music DVDs and DVDs with computer files).
To burn DVDs you need a DVD burner, the most common of which is called a DVD-RW Drive which are Rewriteable DVD burners.
A DVD-RW drive can burn DVD-Rs like what you have, but it can also burn DVD-RW disks which are rewriteable and so can be used over and over again unlike DVD-Rs which can be burnt only once.
Nearly all DVD Drives and DVD Players can use the DVD-R once you've burnt stuff onto it. To play it in a DVD player (i.e. through a TV) it would need to have audio or video on it.
I'm planning to get this drive [broken link removed] which has got good reviews.
One other thing to note is that virtually all DVD burners have CD burners incorporated into them as well.

thanks for your help joe Nonety.I suppose my real q is ,what do business people back up their documents on nowadays as the capacity for floppies is only 1.44mb.I can't see them buying dvd burners(the staff would have a great time!!!!!)

I backup my work (including documents) onto a different hard disk, and make frequent archives to CD.

I can't see them buying dvd burners(the staff would have a great time!!!!!)

Many companies that I know of do indeed use DVD burners to create backups. Many desktop PCs come with CD or DVD burners as standard these days. If you are worried about non work use of IT equipment then you should put in place a suitable acceptable usage policy governing what staff and and cannot do with it.

Following on from what XXXAnother PersonXXX says, hard disk storage is so cheap these days that [broken link removed] (e.g. those in servers and/or other desktop PCs) is an affordable solution and one that can be useful in conjunction with a more general backup strategy using something like CD/DVD-R[W]s for example.

thanks folks,that's interesting.I never knew about copying to hard disk.I'm out of the workforce now and am more curious than anything about the changes since I left.I thought that only audio could be backupped ? onto cd.-r(w).

I thought that only audio could be backupped ? onto cd.-r(w).

No. Any digital data can be backed up onto CD/DVD-R[W].

Back