Dunphy on RTE

> Why doesn't the sindo just give up all pretence of being a serious newspaper? It should go redtop - page three girls and all.

Well given that they have a scantily clad babe on every second page already (including Britney Spears in the Business section!) I thought that they had.

I wouldn't say no to Britney Spears in my business section!

Re: ..

As I said before, I'm not the biggest footie fan in the world but I did find it fascinating to see Dunphy & co talking about Rooney being the next Pele on RTE last night. The English commentators weren't even saying that.

Are you sure they didn't say "belly"? I mean, he looks like he enjoys his grub...

They didn't say he was the next Pele. The said they haven't seen an 18 year as exciting a player since Pele came on the scene. Weither he turns out to be the next Pele is another matter but having seen the English tabloids he might end up more like Gazza considering the coverage he's getting. Very few young players can let that sort of media hysteria pass them by. He seems like a nice enough bloke...
Interesting to hear Sven compare him to Pele though in the post match interviews.

Dunphy said he was potentially the next Pele. He also said he was better than Ronaldo and Zidane. Not splitting hairs...just saying what was said.

Mr Giles agreed...if he could keep his head together he could be the next Pele.

Just like Ryan Giggs was the next George Best? Better than Zidane!? Ho hum. As you say, he seems like a nice lad and has been doing very well in the competition so far. Top scorer with some great goals and support play. As with any promising talent I hope he does well for club and (gulp!) country... ;)

Dunphy

Absolute class last night! Dunphy turned the full time analysis of the Italy/Bulgaria match into a consultants report on why the standard of world football has gone down the tubes. Its all down to a lack of poverty & gameboys.
FIFA should be paying him a fortune... :))
Funny thing is he's right but it was pure Dunphy(class!) listening to him.
You wouldn't get that on ITV/BBC or TV3..

Dunphy's "poverty and despots" theory of total football means that North Korea are bankers to win the next World Cup, right? :\

It wasn't just Dunphy's theory. The rest of the panel agreed with him.

Dunphy

Talk about pedantic.. :-(
(Something I might point out which really annoys me on AAM & is becoming more common).
Dunphy said it, Giles & Brady agreed. Dunphy reckoned that they wouldn't have turned out to be such great footballers if they had come from Bills area..etc etc. Pure comedy.
Now apologies if I didn't describe the incident word for word.

Pedantic response

Dunphy, and Dunphy alone, initially propounded this the "poverty and despots" theory before the Holland v Germany game last week when he seemed to be in, er, high spirits... :rolleyes

Dunphy

"Tired & emotional" I believe is the phrase which applies to Dunphy when in "high spirits". Although I quite like your description UR.!

I can never understand why people seem to be so engrossed by football analysis. Why do people feel the need to have what they just watched with their own eyes explained to them?
Football is a simple enough game. If you can't draw your own conclusions from what you see for yourself and need analysts to spell it out for you then perhaps you'd be better off spending 90 minutes doing the garden or something more useful...

Mr Blank, it's not that they are explaining what's happened.. They are giving an analysis as they saw it, sparking debate. When you're in the bar after seeing the gypsies lose once again do you go over the game & discuss who was good, who was bad, who should be sold off etc. Even though you were all there watching the same game I bet there's always one person who has a different opinion on what needs to be done/where it all went wrong. It's part of the enjoyment of sport. For this tournament, the next day we normally find ourselves discussing both the game & Eamo's outburst's. [I kind of like his theory on poverty & gameboys]

Just think of Giles as the aul-fellow who has followed the team for the last 50 years & thinks he knows everything about everything. 'I remember the team of '68 & this bunch aren't fit to clean their boots'. Think of Dunphy as the cantankerous git at the end of the bar shouting out the awful rubbish that either has the whole bar in stitches or throwing glasses at him...

Last night was classic Dunphy, Eamo to Giles 'You lost your bottle taking penalties Gilesy, c'mon admit it, you lost your bottle'

Giles cropped up on Vincent Browne's radio programme last night and gave a dodgy rendition of some Nat King Cole song even though, as he repeated several times, he hadn't a drink on him and normally only sings when he has a few Bacardi and Cokes under his belt. I guess Dunphy mustn't share his stimulants with Gilsey during the Euro 2004 coverage? I remember Dunphy giving out yards about some footballer (O'Leary or Quinn I think) parading his kids on the pitch before a match (possibly a testimonial) and yet he never questioned Giles' decision to quit taking penos because his son was upset about one one miss. Perish the thought that Dunphy should be consistent - or even coherent - most of the time. :)

Back