Dublin Business School

K

kiki

Hello,

I thinking of doing a degree at night in DBS (BA Management & Information Systems). Does anyone have any experience in this degree or in DBS itself. How would I find out if this course will be fully recognised by another collage if I want to be a post grad in the future?

Thanks

ask them!

Try asking them. They should know and should state in their brochure if the qualification is recognised by the Irish body for 3rd level qualifications whose name escapes me for the moment. They could also be accredited by a British university. It's important to know this before you start. Dept of Ed may also be able to tell you where to find out this kind of info.

Re: ask them!

"if the qualification is recognised by the Irish body for 3rd level qualifications whose name escapes me for the moment"
FETAC ?

www.fetac.ie/

Re: ask them!

HETAC?

HETAC is the qualifications awarding body for third-level educational and training institutions outside the university sector

You might want to check out recognition of the DBS award outside Ireland as well.

DBS

Some of their degree courses lead to awards by overseas univerities (e.g. John Moores, Liverpool) which IN SOME PEOPLE'S minds are less valuable than the Irish NCEA-recognised.

The recent announcement of measurement of awards by the NQAI (i.e where the value of a degree or other qualification is pitched on a scale of 1 to 10) may offer greater transparency of the awards overall value.

You might also wish to consider the DIT, just up the road in Aungier St. They do a range of business-related courses (both part-time and full-time) and are affiliated to a lot professional bodies (e.g. CIPD, ACCA., etc).

re dbd

Hi KiKi,

HETAC are the awarding body for third level institutes in the non university sector in Ireland. This year HETAC courses have received whats known as a NQAI award level/credit number. Former diplomas are now ordinary degrees and are level 7, honours degrees are level 8. So if you use this system and the qualification you are seeking has a credit level 8 then you should have no problem going on to post grad study.

However KiKi this is merely the basic or mechanics behind the system, before undertaking a course research it completely, remember a degree will take you a number of years and you want to sure you made the right choice, now is the time to think about it, not six months into the course. I say this because a lot of people don't complete simply because they didn't do any background work beforehand. Also if you are interested in a pursuing a postgrad area this can help a little bit to influence your decision, but unless you have a very specific career path in mind don't tie yourself to much at this stage. As a previous poster mention the course you mention is validated by a liverpool university, check out both their and dbs's websites. Don't be afraid to ask loads of questions.

Hope this helps and the best of luck with what will be a very rewarding exercise.

Hello,<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->I thinking of doing a degree at night in DBS (BA Management & Information Systems). Does anyone have any experience in this degree or in DBS itself. How would I find out if this course will be fully recognised by another collage if I want to be a post grad in the future?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Thanks

As a basis, you might want to check whether the option is affiliated to a repsresentaive body. For example, some Human Resource degree courses (e.g. DIT) are affliated with the Certified Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) some degrees (e.g. Portobello) are not. Many employers specifically seek CIPD membership so for these jobs it's clearly an advantage to have it.

If there's a similar option for the type of career you want to pursue, it might be worth pursuing courses that give you this additional edge.

Back