Dublin Bus fares

A

Allen

Has the number of stages you can travel for a set fare on Dublin Bus been reduced? Instead of 85c, my fare is now 125cent. This is an increase of nearly 50%. Did Dublin Bus get permission to increase fares like this by stealth? Who approves fares increases?

LoL, "stealth"!! I love the way the tabloids have got people using the stealth word for any charge that they do lot like!! It ridiculous.

> Has the number of stages you can travel for a set fare on Dublin Bus been reduced?

Not that I know of. It was and still is €0.85 for 1-3 stages and €1.25 for 4-7 stages as far as I know. Of course, correlating stops to stages is still a mystery to me after all these years... :|

[broken link removed]

> LoL, "stealth"!! I love the way the tabloids have got people using the stealth word for any charge that they do lot like!! It ridiculous.

Be thankful nobody's mentioned "rip-off Ireland". Yet!

Ticket machine

Apparently the bus drivers need to click a button on their ticket machines to keep up with the stages. If he or she does not do this then it's out of synch when you get on and hence you may be charged extra. My brother had this problem, scanned the tickets, wrote to Dublin Bus and this was the explanation given. the tickets showed where he got on correctly and how far he could go (same destination) but with diff amounts.

Ticket machine

> Apparently the bus drivers need to click a button on their ticket machines to keep up with the stages

I always wondered how that work but was afraid to ask. :) It certainly explains why the stage/stop information on tickets is often incorrect. I once got a ticket that ostensibly had me travelling in the opposite direction to my actual journey! :| I suspect that I'm like a lot of DB passengers in that I generally know or estimate the fare for a particular journey and just pay that rather than bothering the driver....

Re: Ticket machine

It's called bumping up the stages

They just press this one button for every bus stop they pass.

BTW, does anyone collect the tickets with the refunds on and present them for payment?

MO

"BTW, does anyone collect the tickets with the refunds on and present them for payment?"

Better idea is to start a collection service in work and then forward the whole lot to GOAL.

Better idea is to offer to buy these tickets from people at 75% of face value, and then cash them in once a year.

But I'm a cynical capitalist who hates charity.

:)

-Rd

fancy

Raid the bins around bus stops and take other people's unused credits. You might also find some old food.

"You might also find some old food" also newspapers

Expect the City Council to be grateful as you will reduce the amount of rubbish that they have to collect.

If you should wish to go the whole hog ( no, no ! not you Piggy ) and sleep out at night you may find that the Council have a strange way of expressing their gratitude.

enticing

Retrieved, discarded tickets around city-centre bins and bus-stops could be regularly cashed in for a HandyPac of all-day Ramblers entitling you to live on Dublin Bus thus avoiding mortgage, fuel bills and long commutes to work!

Re: enticing

Scraping up discarded chewing gum off the streets and re-chewing it not only helps the enironment but also saves you money and makes for a cheap (tasty?) snack.

Smokers - gather up all those cigarette butts and make your own ciggies from the remnants of leftover tobacco :p

Noticed on the bus this morn a sign next to the driver saying to make sure your ticket is valid for your journey, otherwise you risk a €30 fine...

Has anyone every pointed out to the driver that the wrong destination (for the cost) was printed on the ticket?? I'm sure that most of you bus commuters out there have, at some point, demanded from the drivers a refund ticket (which they happen to *accidentally* not give you)... but would you go that little bit further to point of a discrepancy in what your stage destination should be???

I've been debating on whether I should try it - after all there is a sign telling me I am responsible for what is on my ticket... :\

Back