Dublin Bus dispute

N

Natchessmen

Does anyone understand this morning's dispute.

Here is my take:

1. Driver gets assulted on Friday night (actually pi$$ed upon)
2. Asks management what he should do
3. Is told to go sick Sat. and Sun.
4. Gets sick pay (not premium pay for weekend work)
5. Goes on strike.

My question is: was he unable to work on Saturday? Why did he have to go sick?

Nat

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this incident, and getting pissed on is pretty serious, it is not right that one person can cause that level of disruption and stress to thousands of commuters by his actions.
Another reason not to use public transport.
Another example of why union power in monopolies should be limited.

Dublin Bus

It doesn't matter whether or not we use Dublin Bus: the service (poor as it is) will still be provided.

I agree that its no excuse for a full strike though.

Those lads would strike for anything at all. Its an absolute disgrace.

The bus unions should have to pay compensation to passengers and businesses for all the disruption they've caused.

dublin bus drivers

my sympathies are all with the drivers. There are some routes where the amount of abuse they have to take on a daily basis is incredible. Pee'd on is new but verbal abuse, threats, spitting, throwing stuff over the screen, "bricking" passing buses is a regular occurance on SOME routes. Never mind the amount of smoking, including funny cigarettes. People fighting other passengers because they look different (could be tourists or foreigners). Being threatened. Dealing with drunks. I think they should get danger money.
The trouble is caused by a small amount of people but they make it dfficult for their whole community.

Hi Nat,

My take is slightly different:

1. Driver gets assulted on Thursday night (actually pi$$ed upon)
2. On Friday (or Thursday Night) asks management what he should do.
3. Is told to go casual sick on Friday even though he is fit to work and hasnt got a sick cert.
3a Gets a full days basic pay - nothing more. Sick leave rules vary but usually there is a limit to the number of days that can be taken.
3b. Since he is off casual sick on Friday he is not entitled to work on Saturday and Sunday at overtime premium rates.
4.Has to fogo lucrative overtime pay for for Weekend
5.Tells his buddies who organis a wildcat strike on Friday Morning.
6. Wildcat strike catches DB management and Union officials "asleep at the wheel".

The real problem here is the disfunctional nature of overtime as a way of incentivising and rewarding workers. There has to be a better way such as annualised hours etc.

ajapale

I have to fully support the drivers in this one. Nobody should have to put up with this behaviour in the course of their work. Until Dublin Bus management waken up to this and address it the drivers have every right to take action. Well done lads and even if I have to walk 6 miles a few more times you have my 100% support.

If Dublin Bus drivers have a dispute with Dublin Bus management why do they take is out on Dublin Bus passengers?
I am sure that there are grievance procedures coming out of their ears there, why can't they use them?

My question is: was he unable to work on Saturday? Why did he have to go sick?
AFAIK, the driver didn't want to go sick - the 'assault' procedure requires him to do so.

I've no knowledge of the grievance procedures in Dublin Bus but was talking to an inspector on the quays last night who told me that the managers in Ringsend who told the driver to take uncertified sick leave were the same managers who've recently being handing out 2 and 3 day unpaid suspensions to drivers for overtaking uncertified sick leave.

He also told me that the management haven't decided if they should treat it as an assault yet. I'm no medical expert but I'm sure getting showered with body fluids could have serious implications later.

As for taking it out on passengers. How many of us turn our backs and pretend we don't see this anti social behaviour? How many of us can say we supported a driver when they needed it?

and

How many of us have seen a driver disabuse someone for not having the right change?

How many of us have seen the driver ignore atrocious passenger behaviour on the bus ?

How many of us have come across driver with the manners of a pit pull terrier ?

Well P77 ...

I'm sorry to hear that things are like that in them there buses. I deliver freight ( rather than freight with two legs ) around town and would say that by in large the bus drivers are something between considerate and very considerate to others outside the bus ( walkers, other drivers, cyclists etc ). Of course from time to time there will be one having a bad hair day - I cannot cast the first stone at that -

Would I like their job ? NO THANK YOU ! management, customer and other road users all seem to hate them.

As for bendibus drivers, now thats a job I dont believe I could even do.

All you drivers make a busmans day - let him pull out

( er, no missus, thats not what I meant :D )

WVD

All you drivers make a busmans day - let him pull out

I think your meant to do this anyway (I do). Whenever I get the opportunity, I also like to give them a kiss. The screens can be a problem. (I squash my mams then)

Bus drivers have a horrible job. I can't stand being stuck on traffic, so imagine that coupled with obnoxious public.

I'm not a bus driver but....

>How many of us have seen the driver ignore atrocious passenger behaviour on the bus ?<

What would you do in his/her place? A. Get out of the cab, and ask them to sit down - and risk being assaulted? B. Stop the bus, annoying all the other passengers, and wait for the guards to sort it out? How long might he be waiting?? C. Ignore it and hope it settles itself?
If you have a solution, let's hear it.

Re: I'm not a bus driver but....

"Dear Passengers, the young gentleman wearing the Blue Jacket on the upper deck is causing a disturbance. I am forced to stop the bus until he either leaves the bus or is removed by Gardai, which might take a while.

I am turning off the upstairs camera's and if any of you should see fit to sort this guy out yourselves please rest assured that it will not be captured on cctv."

Let's see how fast the little **** runs.

-Rd

Back