Dropping VAT on Solar and other green measures

Frank

Saw a few articles that VAT is to be removed from Solar

I got mine installed 2 weeks ago,

Thanks for the heads up FFGG
Blooming typical.

Hopefully the installers won't just soak up the difference.

Vat is due at the rate in force on the date of supply

So, it's the Vat rate of 2 weeks ago

If this is rolled out, I very much doubt that it'll benefit the consumer...

Retailers and installers will find a nice excuse for increasing their charges, by a similar amount to the VAT saving, just like the various SEAI grants haven't contributed to consumers really saving any money.

Far from benefiting consumers, this will actually cost householders more as even the fleeting mirage of a bargain will be enough to further drive up demand in an already booming sector.

If this is rolled out, I very much doubt that it'll benefit the consumer...

Retailers and installers will find a nice excuse for increasing their charges, by a similar amount to the VAT saving, just like the various SEAI grants haven't contributed to consumers really saving any money.
... and so adding more fuel to the inflation fire, just like most Govt schemes and grants

Far from benefiting consumers, this will actually cost householders more as even the fleeting mirage of a bargain will be enough to further drive up demand in an already booming sector.
By that logic 50% VAT would make the consumer better off which would make no sense.

Tax incidence varies by the type of product of course, but there are very few where supply is perfectly inelastic allowing producers to capture all benefits of a price change. Solar panels is not one of them.

Reactions: Leo
By that logic 50% VAT would make the consumer better off which would make no sense.
No it wouldn't. Prices would of course increase to capture the difference.
Tax incidence varies by the type of product of course, but there are very few where supply is perfectly inelastic allowing producers to capture all benefits of a price change. Solar panels is not one of them.
At present levels of demand, supply, and grant availability in that particular sector, I respectfully disagree.

Literally a week after my install was completed, they come out with this

Delighted for others and I hope the saving doesn't just get soaked up

I wouldn't mind so much if it had been months.

Back