Driving in the USA

Jason_77

A group of us are going to the USA next summer, and we are wondering about driving over there.
Do you need an International Driving Licence?
How long must you hold a Full Irish driving licence before you can get a n International one?
Are there any restrictions to the vehicle size one can drive stateside?
If I was to hire a 24ft UHAL truck, would I need a truck licence?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Jason.

Full Irish licence is fine for cars. Don't know about bigger vehcles.

I think you need an international driving licence too, can you get this from AA?

colc1 said:
I think you need an international driving licence too, can you get this from AA?
I've driven rental cars in the US with just my standard Irish driving licence on multiple occasions.

me too, I worked there for several months at a time and Irish licence is fine

As for Uhaul truck, I believe its the same as here , you must ahve it marked on your licence that you can drive a van/rigid/artic to be able to rent same.

I can also confirm that a full Irish driver's licence is fine, in fact I went to the trouble of getting an International Driver's Licence before I travelled and the staff at the car hire firm looked blankly at it.

Full licence is fine. just note that if you are under 25 you will be penalised for you age when hiring a car. It will prob cost an extra $25 a day. If you are under 21 some hire co. may not hire you a car.

Back