Drips from upstairs outflow pipe

trmartin

Hi

The overflow pipe from the upstairs bathroom is dripping intermittently.

I have looked at the wc cistern and from what I can see there does not seem to be a problem with the ballcock valve, i.e. when the toilet is flushed the correct amount of water is let in and then it's shut off.

There is no running water going into the pan.

Yet, because we have a pumped water system (the water tank is in the garage), I can hear the pump going but nobody is using the bathroom upstairs.

I'd appreciate if someone could throw some light on what might be causing the water dripping from the overflow pipe.

The overflow pipe from the upstairs bathroom is dripping intermittently.
What feeds into this overflow pipe?
I can hear the pump going but nobody is using the bathroom upstairs.
Hot water tap downstairs? Downstairs loo? Dishwasher? Washing machine? All are/meant to be fed from storage tank.
Extremely unlikely an intermittent drip would trigger a pump.

Hi SparkRite,

Thanks for your query.

The overflow pipe is coming from the direction of the upstairs bathroom and is presumably fed by the toilet, wash-hand basin and bath. We don't have a storage tank in the attic; the water is pumped from the tank in the garage.

What I find hard to understand is why the drip is intermittent.

The overflow pipe is coming from the direction of the upstairs bathroom and is presumably fed by the toilet, wash-hand basin and bath. We don't have a storage tank in the attic; the water is pumped from the tank in the garage.
I understood that from your first post. Unfortunately you have given us no more to go on, especially by saying you presume it is fed by the toilet and is coming from the direction of the bathroom.
What I find hard to understand is why the drip is intermittent.
What are you trying to solve? The intermittent drip or the 'ghost' activation of the pump?

I'm sure you will appreciate that without precise information these problems are practically impossible to solve remotely.

Many thanks to all those who replied.
It turns out that there is a slow drip leak in the WC cistern which over a period of time (overnight, during the day) resulted in the water in the cistern overflowing; the overflow would stop as soon as the toilet was flushed.
I think there is also a separate issue with the central heating system, which may be causing the pump in the garage to run.

Back