Dressing for an Interview

Rois

I have an interview tomorrow (Saturday) for a job I really want. The interview is a combination of interview/competency tests. I have read an excellent post on this forum about Competency Based Interviews and feel prepared for that.

My question is however, as the interview is on a Saturday and in a hotel (rather than the office itself), should I still dress in a formal work suit or would it be acceptable to present in a smart dress and jacket?

The nature of the job itself would not involve having to dress formally on a day to day basis. I will take any advice on board thanks.

If you don't wear a suit you risk turning up and seeing that everyone else IS wearing a suit - then you'll look like a tool.

I don't actually own a suit because I don't like them. I wear trousers/skirt, blouse, cardis mostly. When I'm 'dressing up' for work I wear a dress and jacket or skirt, blouse and jacket.

Last edited:
I would suggest the suit, even though as you say the job doesnt demand formal clothing I would still think it looks well for an interview. Very best of luck with the interview!

should I still dress in a formal work suit or would it be acceptable to present in a smart dress and jacket?

Wear whatever you think would be appropriate if it wasn't the weekend.

If you're a bloke, I'd avoid the dress and jacket option, regardless of how tempting it may seem.

Thanks for all the replies. The suit seems to be the attire of choice, so I'll go
with that!

You got me thinking about an interview I did a few years ago for grade IV's in the HSE. The interview was a compentecy based one and a young girl who had just finished her degree presented in a black sleeveless top. It was a lovely outfit for a night in a pub but unsuitable for an interview.

As it was a compentency interview we did not have a mechamism to deduct marks.

She did a good interview oteherwise but was not in the running for a post as we interviewed approx 150 people.